IGNORED

05RT LCD display problems

DickCW

On 2 rides in the last couple of weeks, I have had the LCD display go very faint. Both times it was in bright sunlight.

When I first noticed it, I stopped the bike, covered the screen from the sun and could not even read the time! On the second occasion, I could just about make out the numbers but I could see illumination behind them as if the day/night sensor had operated.

Anyone had a similar problem?

A couple of us have had a very similar situation with the display panel on the 1200GS. Bright sunlight and warm temps causes the display to grow faint. I've only seen it happen a few times. Not a big deal for me.

Happens to my R12ST too (same LCD as the GS).

Has happend a couple of times while riding and almost every day when I park it at work.

I'm not that bothered by it when parking but I don't care to much for it while I'm riding. I don't think there is much that can be done about it though. Maybe some heat sink on the back of the display would help.

Paul Mihalka

Must be some basic condition of LCD displays. I don't have a R1200xx, but I have on my bike a temp. gauge/voltmeter from Radioshack which does the same thing. Difference is that gauge cost me all of $9.95.

...Must be some basic condition of LCD displays...

It is. Just thought (hoped) that something intended to be exposed to the outdoors would be more resistent to it.

And I can't see the thing wearing sunglasses. BMW needs to address contrast adjustment on the display.

Perhaps your sunglasses are polarized? LCDs work by polarization, so if your glasses are polarized the result can be a display that goes blank when seen through sunglasses.

Cheers,

Karl in NC

I installed a RCU shelf on my GS and it seems to shade the display sufficiently. I also have things RAM mounted to the shelf. I had one on my RT as well, and if memory served correctly it provided some good shade for the speedo/tach.

Funny, but the EVO temperature/fuel/clock display on the 02 were LCD and they worked very well in the bright sunlight. dopeslap.gif

It seems there's always something.....Thank you Roseanne Roseannadanna, whereever you are!

Mike

My '05 RT does the same. I thought it was just temporary from the Sun. I have't look at it for two days now. I hope it's back to normal.

I have the same issues with my R1200RT. It has been 100 degrees plus while riding, and I thought it was the sunlight that was causing it to fade. So, the question is, if the LCD issue is a temperature issue, then will the shelf help? I also notice that if the sun is at my back, the glare caused by the huge platic covering the instuments reflecting the sunlight is pretty annoying.

RZ

it's a fact of life with ALL LCDs

Heat (and cold for that matter) cause problems for LCDs. Heat will generally reduce contrast and cold will reduce display response time.

Some LCDs may be better than others.. but they are all bound by the same laws of physics.

I believe that you can adjust the contrast on your display yourself on the R12RT

Joe

Well I agree and disagree. The 12GS is doing the same thing as the 12RT (as will the new KR and KS I suspect) but while on my GS the display goes blank sitting in the sun at about 40C, the $19.95 after-market LCD temperature display right below it that's telling me it's 40C is just fine.

BMW could do better.

I wrote a email to BMW about this problem, here is their response: "We do not have any information regarding this concern. Unfortunately, this concern may occur with LCD display screens as a result of viewing angle in relation to light."

Those of you that have problems need to contact them so they have more "information regarding this concern". Maybe we can get them to add contrast adjustment or some other fix. I have the problem with sunglasses (polarized) or my tinted Arai shield (non-polarized).

Can you post the contact information that you used for BMW? It would likely be best if we all contacted the same site.

Joe

I wrote a email to BMW about this problem, here is their response: "We do not have any information regarding this concern. Unfortunately, this concern may occur with LCD display screens as a result of viewing angle in relation to light."

Those of you that have problems need to contact them so they have more "information regarding this concern". Maybe we can get them to add contrast adjustment or some other fix. I have the problem with sunglasses (polarized) or my tinted Arai shield (non-polarized).

They probably could do better... at a higher cost; as with everything.... it is cost vs benefit.

For the comparison to your stick-on LCD temperature gauge... remember; the BMW unit is backlit and it is MUCH more difficult to control contrast with a backlit LCD than it is with a non-backlit LCD.

For example... take your notebook computer (which looks great indoors) out into the sun and look at the display. I'm betting you can barely (if at all) read it in direct sunlight. Your notebook computer is backlit.

Joe

Well I agree and disagree. The 12GS is doing the same thing as the 12RT (as will the new KR and KS I suspect) but while on my GS the display goes blank sitting in the sun at about 40C, the $19.95 after-market LCD temperature display right below it that's telling me it's 40C is just fine.

BMW could do better.

On 2 rides in the last couple of weeks, I have had the LCD display go very faint. Both times it was in bright sunlight.

When I first noticed it, I stopped the bike, covered the screen from the sun and could not even read the time! On the second occasion, I could just about make out the numbers but I could see illumination behind them as if the day/night sensor had operated.

Anyone had a similar problem?

Dick:

I just got back from a 5+K trip on my new RT. Whenever I had to park the bike in the sun, I deliberately put something over the LED to keep the sun off it...a rag, my coat draped over the windscreen...something. It helps.

If you cover the instrument panel to see the LCD, the back light will come on...immediately. Try going into a tunnel and see how fast that sensor works...almost instantly. Can't remember where it is just now, but I'll bet you covered it when you tried to see the LED. I've done that too.

Anyone scratched the soft plastic dash cover yet? I've got a nasty mark on mine. I still love this bike, though.

-TB

Archived