IGNORED

Punctured tire: what's the temporary cure?

Clyde

Yesterday I returned home from a 1000+ mile ride up/down California. This morning I discover a screw poke into the tire and it's deflated. frown.gif I would have been bncry.gifbncry.gifbncry.gif if this was before yesterday!

Is there repair kit I can carry to fix things to get back into "Dodge"? Any good lightweight air pump to pump up the tire?

Any general advice on overcoming long rang biking problems?

Thanks!

I carry a pocket tire plugger, and an airman sparrow air pump. The plug kit is much better than the BMW kit and the air compressor plugs into the BMW socket for power. I purchased them at BMW of Santa Cruz County, but I would bet you could get them just about anywhere.

I passed through Santa Cruz via "Holy City", Skyline Blvd. Should've stopped by. Is the Sparrow unit small? Can it inflate other thing like camping sleeping cushion, floatation tube etc?

Thanks!

Is the Sparrow unit small? Can it inflate other thing like camping sleeping cushion, floatation tube etc?
AirMan "Sparrow" Compact Air Compressor at Bob's BMW (1/4 down the page). You'll also need the Bob’s Power Cord Adapter that immediately follows it.

And for a tire plugger:

Stop & Go Pocket Tire Plugger

or

Dynaplug

I have not personally used the Dynaplug (it just came back on the market) but many here recommend it.

I've got one these pumps low tech, not cheap but high quality.

AirRevolution High Pressure Mini Foot Pump $49.95 Code: MFP

It’s a revolution, an AirRevolution that is. This 6 in., 17 oz. multi-purpose pump is lightweight and compact enough to take with you on epic adventures or around-town runs. With no batteries or electrical connections needed this leg-powered pump will top off or fill a tire with relative ease. Also great for bicycles, air mattresses, game/gym balls and air shocks. Includes all adaptors. Other features include a 32 in. hose, pressure gauge, pressure release valve, and nylon carrying case.

http://www.whitehorsepress.com/product_info.php?products_id=4529

555442-mfp.jpg.d97ad7e63f585bfca7f56fdf754ae852.jpg

Is there a reason why the tubeless emergency repair kits supplied until recently by BMW have not been mentioned? I've never had to use one (knock wood), but I just bought two of the kits for $8 on ebay. I carry one with each bike, along with a little cartridge cannister that I bought at REI.

...And for a tire plugger:

Stop & Go Pocket Tire Plugger

or

Dynaplug

I have not personally used the Dynaplug (it just came back on the market) but many here recommend it.

I got a flat rear tire on my new RT at just 500 miles and I had no way to fix it. Right after that experience, I purchased the Stop-n-Go plugger kit to carry with me.

I haven't fixed any m/c tires with it yet, however I have successfully fixed 3 family members' car tires - it works great!

I also have the DynaPlug product on order. I think it will be more suitable for fixing my unmounted, punctured m/c tire because the metal object which caused the flat is very tiny (like a super small finishing nail) and the DynaPlug rubber plug appears much closer to the correct size.

For an air supply while on the road, I have 2 or 3 CO2 cartridges that I carry for that purpose. I have no idea whether they work or not and I hope I never have to find out.

You'll probably get a lot more replies if you post this in the general Bike Related forum, it's not a Hexhead question.

For an air supply while on the road, I have 2 or 3 CO2 cartridges that I carry for that purpose. I have no idea whether they work or not and I hope I never have to find out.
I found that the C02 cartridges, while helpful, are not very useful. On my flat, I unloaded four of them into the tire and all I had to show for it was 15 psi. It seems a lot of the C02 leaks out of the cannister and into the air before you get it screwed into the filler tube completely. I'm ordering one of those Airman compressors for next time because while being in civilization, 15 psi will allow you to limp a mile or two for some air at a gas station, I'd hate to be in the middle of Iowa, Nebraska, or God help you, Arizona or Nevada, having to limp along for miles and miles waiting for a gas station on the horizon. From what I've read, no matter how many C02 cartridges you have, you'll never unload enough pressure from them to get your tire up to 38-40 psi. Thus, the Airman compressor, or something similar that is that small, is the way to go.
What is the monkey saying? No, then what? Monkey tire kit (also called Victor) no good? I like to know....

I wouldn't dream of putting words into this monkey's mouth, however, I believe he is simply commenting that he has not tried that particular kit. FWIW, I haven't either.

Okay, I used the Monkey Kit and my tire is now inflated. I hope it will stand up to real use. I got the enchilada version which has patches for puncture as well as cut and both the round filing and the needling tools. I saw puncture only kit with just the needle but no filing. How are you suppose to make a good seal without filing? Hmmm.... Anyway, the whole job including inflating was about 10 min for this first timer.

One big complaint: threading the glueeee sticky patch throug the needle tool was impossible and give me sticky fingers. I had to split the thing open with a flat blade.

Archived