IGNORED

Ohlins for 05 RT

steve539

Has anyone as of yet put a set of Ohlins (front and/or rear) on a RT or ST? If so is it worth the $? I would think so but always look to the experience of those with actual experience.

dopeslap.gif

Hold on to your wallet for a second. The shocks that come with the 12RT are good shocks. They are not rebuildable and may only last 20 or 25k miles. But why not use them and wait to replace them. The RT is a touring bike and it handles very well with the stock shocks. Mine does and I doubt if anyone except a serious racer can tell the difference between the stock shocks and replacements, when they are new. Of course, there's an occasional buffoon on here that's convinced they're better. Wouldn't you be if you had just thrown out $1500.

Now if you're an AMA superbike racer or need something to brag about then go for it. But, even then I would get the Wilber's shocks anyway.

Ugh, wasn't this duscussed in another thread?

I can tell the difference and I'm not an AMA racer. I put Ohlins on my low mileage R1150RT and there was a huge difference. It made the bike feel as if it was on rails. All the little bumps were smoothed out. It was very confidence inspiring. The Ohlins can be fine tuned to suit your riding style and road conditions. I will be putting Ohlins on my new R12RT this winter.

I will concede that if you are riding in a non aggressive manor, the stock shocks are probably just fine. For those that want to do a little hooning, the dough spent on aftermarket shocks is well worth it.

Well, the Ohlins are on. Relatively easy install. They were set up for my weight by Ohlins and are wonderful. The ride is a bit firmer but better feel and control. I do ride a bit hard in the twisties and the shocks, dollar for dollar, are a better investment than a pipe, etc. Finally I know have greater adjustability in the front.

Hold on to your wallet for a second. The shocks that come with the 12RT are good shocks.
Perhaps, but if you have ridden on shocks of Ohlins quality for any length of time the stockers NEVER feel right. I put Ohlins on my last three oilhead RSs so I got very used to them. While the non-ESA shocks on my RT were ok, they never felt right to me. If I had them setup to be soft the rear end po-go'd. If I set it up to where it didn't po-go it was too harsh. And the front end? Not adjustable. I replaced my stockers with Wilbers which are quite similar to Ohlins in performance and are a little cheaper. Shocks like Wilbers and Ohlins can be setup to give a smooth soft ride and yet still be under total control (no po-go). That's why they are so good. Wilbers and Ohlins are also completely rebuidable.

I doubt if anyone except a serious racer can tell the difference between the stock shocks and replacements

Wrong

if you're an AMA superbike racer

Wrong again...

I can tell the difference and I'm not an AMA racer. It made the bike feel as if it was on rails.

Yep... clap.gif

if you have ridden on shocks of Ohlins quality for any length of time the stockers NEVER feel right.

Yep..

the Ohlins are on. Relatively easy install. They were set up for my weight by Ohlins and are wonderful. The ride is a bit firmer but better feel and control. I do ride a bit hard in the twisties and the shocks, dollar for dollar, are a better investment than a pipe, etc. Finally I know have greater adjustability in the front.

The best bang per dollar investment made. thumbsup.gif

Archived