IGNORED

Aftermarket Exhaust

steve539

What are your thoughts or experiences as to aftermarket exhausts (sound vs. performance)for the R1200 RT? Especially the Remus full system with extra baffle.

I have the full Remus on my ST, same engine as the RT and like it a lot, better looking, lighter, cooler and added about 4 or 5 RWHP, sounds good with a deeper tone. Highly reccommended.

Hi there!

Some questions please.

Any chance of getting pix of your Remus System?

Do Remus make a slip-on only and do you know if this improves Power.

Is your Full system Road Legal - the law is very tough on loud Systems here in OZ.

I have Remus full system on my 12ST as well. I went with the full system because I hate chrome, and wanted to scrap the stock chrome pipes. Otherwise I very much doubt there was an HP gain with the full system. And the stainless Remus pipes don't weigh any less than the stock. The only weight savings was the muffler(I have the carbon can). If there was any HP gains with the muffler it's probably top-end only, but even then I doubt it.

That being said, I really like the system. Sound is very good, with our without the extra baffle in place. No droning at cruising speeds. Deeper, and slightly louder idle. Fantastic grunt coming out of corners. I think it looks a LOT better than that bubbly chrome thing BMW put on it. If you do a search I've posted pictures of my bike with the Remus.

Again, IMHO, skip the pipes and just get the slipon, unless you like spending money, or you're doing it for looks.

Am I lost confused.gif I can't find a pic.

Look at the attachements I posted in this thread:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/527514/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1

I have sense removed the Remus logo on the side of the muffler. I used a dremel to carefully cut around the 2 rivets attaching the logo, then painted the rivit heads black. I chose not to drill/replace the rivets because there is no way to get to the back-side.

A picture of Dean's is also in this thread.

The Wunderlich catalog has a rebranded techlusion box specificly for the R12RT (don't see why it wouldn't work on the R12ST)for getting a little more out of an exhaust.

There are alos some dyno graphs on the Remus site. Sure anyone can produce misleading dyno results but they are there anyway.

I'm considering getting exhaust for my ST only to improve the tone and to have it overcome the noisy airbox.

Thank you to you and JohnJC for the info and pix.

I agree with you on the logo - it spoils the clean lines of the bike/exhaust system.

Disappointing that there isn't any noticeable improvement in performance but it's still worthwhile, if only to have the looks and sound.

I'll also be checking out the OZ-made Staintune System when it hits the market. They are waiting to get a hold of a R1200 to use for developing/tuning their system.

Might have to loan them my bike!

I installed the Remus full system (CAT eliminated) system on my R1200 RT last night. Went together well. Not loud at all with insert in place. Can't comment yet on seat of the pants feel on performance. I do have one question/observation: There is a bracket welded onto the Remus header pipe near where the old CAT braket is located. My kit did not come with any connecting bracket for the two. I don't think one is intended but question why the pipe has the bracket if it is not to be used (perhaps for another model bike or I am missing a part). Any info from those who have installed a Remus system on an R1200 RT/ST.

Thanx

No. The stops works great. On the CAT eliminator pipe there is a bracket welded to the top that has a hole as if something is to be bolted to it. This bracket, when the pipe is in place, is several inches below the bike bracket/pin that was formerly used to hold the CAT by way of a strap with a rubbber bushing that mounted to the bracket/pin.

Several inches below? Can't be, the pipe isn't several inches below the stock pin.

Look at the picture I attached. Is that the pin you're taling about?

557451-bracket.jpg.067a3cc697cecc6ae317400b6bc4d4d6.jpg

That's it. I am missing the part that goes on the frame pin and drops down to the pipe.

If I remember correctly the new system came with the small bolt, that bolts the hanger to the cat-replacement. The hanger came off of the stock pipe.

With all due respect, I don't think that is the case. At least with mine, as the stock hanger is designed to wrap around the CAT in a one peice hanger. The sales folks told me the hanger I need is on the way. I'll find out.

Sorry about that. Like I said, "If I remember correctly". Apparently, I didn't remember so well. smile.gif

It looks chromed(not that I had a good viewing angle), so that on top of my shotty memory had me thinking it was part of the original.

I just went out and checked my stock pipes, to make sure this wasn't an ST vs RT thing. Nope, hanger was attached, the falt was all mine tongue.gif

Glad they're getting you the correct parts.

Archived