IGNORED

Has anyone seen the new Marsee Corona Tankbags yet?

steve.foote

I've been thinking about one for my 12GS. I like the Rocket Pocket 11 liter model. Website says "coming soon."

Anyone seen one yet?

ShovelStrokeEd

BMW Motorcycles of Atlanta carries the line. Looked like a nice thing for my S but, I bought the Big Mak cause I don't want to have to deal with the bag during refueling. I keep my electronics in there and dropping the bag off the dash while refueling is liable to pull my head inside out via my ears. DAMHIK.

Also, the frakkin thing is 300 bucks!!

ClearwaterBMW

the special edition of the marsee corona for the 12GS will begin production 2 weeks from tomorrow in tennessee, if all goes well/i spoke to them about that on this past friday

i have one on backorder from bmw of tampa bay in florida

nice bag

it "floats" on that tank nicely

the 5 degree counterclockwise turn to remove it is very stable and trick

nice bag

but the tank is quite rounded on the GS and i don't know that it will look that good on top

i have the bmw-mounted nav system on the bars and it might not work with the

but, at 5'6" i am not really tall enough to see over the "skyscraper" bmw tank bag

what were those IDIOTS thinking in berlin when they made that bag?

how about 2 heights?

that would have been nice

the bottom line on the marsee

1st quality construction... tough as nails

love their stuff

call them directly

Marsee Products

651 Niles Ferry Road

Madisonville, TN 37354

p: 423-420-1117

f: 423-420-1175

forget their california location...

they are closing it

that's why they are behind in production

everything is moving EAST to tennessee

greg

Marsee seems to make design errors from time to time. I have two of their bags, and the map pocket on one has only a small zipper opening, so you have to scrunch up the map to get it through. This wore out maps very quickly. This was corrected on a later model a couple of years later. I almost bought one of their bags to fit the GS last year, but I hated the map pocket. For one thing it was sort of coffin shaped, so how the heck do you fold a map to maximize use of that, and for another thing the opening to the map pocket was just a slit in the vinyl right across one face and there was maybe 2mm of vinyle overlap, so it looked like you were asking for wet maps in the rain. The rest of the bag was fine, but that was a deal breaker for me. I use my GPS, but still like to have a paper map going for easy wide area views.

ClearwaterBMW

i agree about the paper map

i have seen this corona bag... but the one made for all bikes (with centrally mounted gas fillers) EXCEPT the 1200GS.....

the map pocket is good (not the ORTLIEB-INSPIRED rolled up map window enclosure on the bmw bag

the problem with the 1200GS

there are NO REAL OPTIONS besides these 2 bags and some CORTECH MINI which may hold 2 tampons and your cell phone.

i want the bmw bag, but i think it's LARGER THAN MY FIRST BIKE

greg

CORTECH MINI which may hold 2 tampons and your cell phone.

Interesting choice of gear to travel with. I'm just going to leave it at that. grin.gif

I put the bavarian bag on the rear of my 12gs. Fits nicely. Expands to hold plenty. If the Corona is as well built it will be a nice piece.

ClearwaterBMW

we're talking about the 1200GS

no one is making TANK bags for that bike (check it out... you'll see i'm right)

and, if you DO know of other bags made SPECIFICALLY for the R1200GS.... then please enlighten us, if you will

go see that bag before you say that. i have no knowledge of their previous tank bags, but THIS ONE is a tank.... period.

the DO have "bmw-pricing"... i'll give you that... that bag is very expensive

greg

we're talking about the 1200GS

no one is making TANK bags for that bike (check it out... you'll see i'm right)

and, if you DO know of other bags made SPECIFICALLY for the R1200GS.... then please enlighten us, if you will

go see that bag before you say that. i have no knowledge of their previous tank bags, but THIS ONE is a tank.... period.

the DO have "bmw-pricing"... i'll give you that... that bag is very expensive

greg

Um... I can't say if it is made specifically for the R1200GS, but I have a Wunderlich tank bag on mine and it fits pretty well. I'm happy with it.

1250190.jpg

Available here: http://209.61.235.222/merchant2/index.html (BMW of Santa Cruz)

ClearwaterBMW

nice bag

appreciate the link

i wonder how it'll fit on the GS with the nav system in place.... that's one of the reasons that the OVERsized bmw bag has that slope on the bar side... so that one can still see that gps when both are in place

do you have a picture or 2 of your bike and that bag please?

thanks again

greg

Here is another one from twistedthrottle.com. They make a model for the GS.

It also mounts via a gas-cap ring mechanism and is pretty reasonable cost wise.

The only things I plan on carrying in a tankbag are my autocom and associated electronic stuff, maybe a wallet and phone. Not much else, so it doesn't have to be very big. The Marsee looks like just about the right size.

I currently have a Bigmak leftover from my RT. I feel it is just too big, and I use a crossbar for my GPS which may make any tankbag difficult.

Again, the whole point for me is to find a place to keep the radio/intercom stuff.

Thanks all for the information and ideas. thumbsup.gif

My BigMak tankbag switches effortlessly between the RT and GS. With its mapcase and its ability to flip-up for gas filling, it is the most versatile piece of travel luggage I own.

Peter Collins

Although I have an RT, I have ordered the Marsee Corona Tankbay through South Souund BMW in Tacoma Wa. They called this past Friday and told me they had recieved and forwared it on to me. It should be here on Tuesday. I will provide a report some time this weekend.

ShovelStrokeEd

Greg,

Toss your BMW mount into the weeds, go to Gadget Guy and get a ball mount and lever arm and place your GPS up out of the way. Lets you run a better (larger) tank bag and makes the GPS much more handy to the left hand. Nobody uses the stock mount except the LT guys. Oops, forgot, you are one, aren't you.

ClearwaterBMW

Ed,

you are right about that as well

thought i'd just save some time and do it the BMW WAY

ridiculous, i know

that bmw tank bag will hold it all

the thing for me is that, over the years, i have gotten used to looking at the gps as i ride down the road/when i have to. keeping the unit in the MIDLINE is advantageous to that kind of gps use. it's just easier for me to scan up and down instead of left and center. i'll have to learn i guess... i'll take a look at the gadget guy's offerings

thanks again

greg

ShovelStrokeEd

You can still position it near the bike's centerline. The long arm will allow you to raise the thing a good 5 or 6" higher than BMW's mount.

i love the flexibility of that mounting system. i appreciate the information

greg

I looked, and I don't have any good pics of the tank bag on the bike that show the GPS. I use the smaller GPSMap 60C and have it mounted on the left handlebar on a RAM mount. It is positioned to be just inboard of the left edge of the windshield. This locatoin allows me to reach over with my left hand and hit the variaous buttons easily. I think the center spot would be a longer reach. Although it is not dead center, it is close enough to the centerline that it is still easy to see. If you end up with a mounting setup that allows you to try different spots, try it in a few places to see how you like it.

Archived