IGNORED

A Couple of 12GS Part Numbers Found

Ken H.

The factory tool to remove the front brake and clutch reservoir covers is 90 88 6 321 511 :

33623172-M.jpg

The tool to pull the on-plug coils (if your bike didn't come with one) is 12 13 7 673 248 :

33623171-M.jpg

Now if someone somewhere could just come up with the part number for the wiring diagram book! How about any of you UK, EU, AU (or other!) guys / gals? Anyone know how to get the part number? I'm coming up blank in the US.

Cheers!

Ken,

The black plastic thingy isn't very good. There is a new metal puller. Don't have the # but just ordered one from chibmw.

Is there a seperate printed wiring diagram these days? I thought everything the dealer needed to look at was on the computer. And us DIYers can get the info on CD. For the price they want it better be on that CD.

I agree that the plastic puller is not much use. Either that, or I don't know how to use it correctly. Or both. Today we had a local tech day (thanks for doing the initial one, Marty), and I just couldn't get the spark plug caps off with that puller. A small open-end spanner underneath the cap, prising it up, worked much better. May try to get the metal one, though, if someone can provide a part number.

Just curious:

- Did you try to remove the brake/clutch covers without this tool?

- How much did both cost? I just paid ~$30 for the coil puller tool @ Marin. I hope it's the metal one! smile.gif

Gently prying with a screw driver removes the coils just fine. Also you can just press the two locking tabs on the bottom of the reservoir covers and twist them off. Not much more difficult than a child proof medicine cap.

David,

I've used the screwdriver quite a few times...decided to try the new tool/easier and quicker...I assume. wink.gif

Gently prying with a screw driver removes the coils just fine.

BMWRich was having all sorts of trouble with his bike. Worked long and hard to debug it. Turns out it was bad plug wires from removing them without the puller tool.

I know it's not the same, it's coil on plug on the 12GS. But ever since that, I *ALWAYS* try and use something like the puller tool. frown.gif

Also you can just press the two locking tabs on the bottom of the reservoir covers and twist them off. Not much more difficult than a child proof medicine cap.

Agreed! Unless the tool was $5 or something...

Now if someone somewhere could just come up with the part number for the wiring diagram book! How about any of you UK, EU, AU (or other!) guys / gals? Anyone know how to get the part number? I'm coming up blank in the US.

This might work for the wiring diagram:

http://r1200gs.info/R1200GS_Wiring_Diagram.pdf

As far as P/Ns generally ... the clear signal lens kit parts (for example) for the 12GS are actually listed on my dealer's fiche under the 12ST; you might want to check against all three models, rather than only the GS.

So Ken, not interested in sharing what these trinkets cost?
No problem, just hadn't got around to finding the receipt!

The "Latch Retractor" (for the reservoir covers) was $14.36 and the "Puller" for the coils was $1.28. Chicago BMW's discounted prices.

I think I'll order the metal puller Marty posted the next time I order something else from them.

Just curious:

- Did you try to remove the brake/clutch covers without this tool?

I have. It is quite easy but does require 3 hands. You just hold in the little tabs on both sides of the cap and turn it.

Archived