IGNORED

49er Rally in Auburn,CA

ArizonaAl

Anyone coming to the 49er Rally this coming weekend in Auburn, CA be sure to look me up and say hello--

I'll have the bike and trailer in the vendor hall and will be sticking things in people's ears-- :)

Al

Won't be there, but I was hoping you'd be at the Beemer Bash in Quincy, CA in September so I could get a new set of earplugs...

cali_beemer
I'll be there,plan to ride the Sierra passes since they all opened recently.

JR356

Be carefull on 89. They loaded the roads up with tar snakes and it may be a bit warm uo there this weekend. On a really hot day the pass has turned into a slip and slide. I really dont enjoy 89 anymore.

I may go over the rally since its a 20-30 minute ride form my house. :grin:

JR356

Be carefull on 89. They loaded the roads up with tar snakes and it may be a bit warm uo there this weekend. On a really hot day the pass has turned into a slip and slide. I really dont enjoy 89 anymore.

Wish I had seen this before I left!

YES,89 created a few pucker moments early today and it was not even really warm yet.Thankfully I was enjoying the scenery at a leisurely pace.

The holiday weekend traffic and heightened LEO presence also tempered the pace.

Have read in the past that they use a different tar mix in Europe with some additions that don't cause such drastic traction changes,unlike the US compounds.

Was only on Hwy 49 for about a hour from Placerville to Auburn,just had to remind myself why I hate that road anytime in the touristy season.

Pretty good turnout at the Rally,but vendor presence was down compared to past years,those vendors present seemed to be doing fairly brisk business.

AZ Al had a constantly full fitting chair every time I walked past.

JR356

cali_beemer

JR356

Wish I had seen this before I left!

YES,89 created a few pucker moments early today and it was not even really warm yet.Thankfully I was enjoying the scenery at a leisurely pace.

The holiday weekend traffic and heightened LEO presence also tempered the pace.

Have read in the past that they use a different tar mix in Europe with some additions that don't cause such drastic traction changes,unlike the US compounds.

Was only on Hwy 49 for about a hour from Placerville to Auburn,just had to remind myself why I hate that road anytime in the touristy season.

Pretty good turnout at the Rally,but vendor presence was down compared to past years,those vendors present seemed to be doing fairly brisk business.

AZ Al had a constantly full fitting chair every time I walked past.

JR356

Yeah, for some reason it doesnt even need to be hot on that road to be a slip and slide.

I decided to boycott the 49er rally. 30 dollars for a day pass to get into seemed ridiculous. Then if I wanted to do the poker ride it would have been more. No thanks. Some BMW riders make jokes that I like to go the Harley rally events like Laughlin but I have never been to a Harley type rally that charged money for admission. I was also heavily dissapointed on the BMW only unless sponsored by a BMW rider attitude. How snobby is that? There are alot of people that think BMW riders are snooty to begin with but that is just overboard. How ridiculous!!!!!!!! While I ride a BMW, I like alot of other brands and have owned a few others as well. I have never been around a riding group that didnt welcome another rider despite the brand he rode. Out on the road we are all one family of motorcycle riders. This rally and its policy is just nuts.

Firefight911

I decided to boycott the 49er rally. 30 dollars for a day pass to get into seemed ridiculous.

Ditto. Rode over with some friends to say Hi to Al. No WAY I'm gonna pay $30 to walk in the door. I waited outside while one of my friends paid the admission price just so he could do business with a vendor. The excuse they gave me at the gate? It costs a lot to get the liquor license.

UNRally all the way!!! It ain't about the booze people!! It's about the people!!

I agree Phil,

I did all those the first couple of years I had the RT and then I discovered BMWRT.COM in '01. I've never been back!!

We sure missed you two at Torrey! My wife and I are going back to the Chuckwagon in July, can't get enough of that red rock clifts.

Haven't done 49er rally for a long time, prob never will again after reading this post... 30 bucks eh? Goes a long way at an UnRally. :grin:

Did the Monitor pass on Fri (89)...

Yes , they indeed ruined an otherwise great pass for motorcycles..At least my normal pace anyway... After a few dips into the oncoming lane, decided to slow a bit. Rotten job CalTrans or DOT or whomever did it. Fokkers.

MB>

cali_beemer

I decided to boycott the 49er rally. 30 dollars for a day pass to get into seemed ridiculous.

Ditto. Rode over with some friends to say Hi to Al. No WAY I'm gonna pay $30 to walk in the door. I waited outside while one of my friends paid the admission price just so he could do business with a vendor. The excuse they gave me at the gate? It costs a lot to get the liquor license.

UNRally all the way!!! It ain't about the booze people!! It's about the people!!

Thats funny, they never mention that in their reasoning for the high price on their website. It seems they really dont know the real reason why other than they seem to think they will make more money that way. In any case its just plain crazy. 30 bucks to see a handfull of vendors? pay double for a beer (which you shouldnt have in the first place if your riding)an then still have to may more money for the poker ride??? It seems as if they would benefit more if they didnt charge money, werent snooty about the bike a person rides and then host other ways to make money would make more sense.

cali_beemer
Haven't done 49er rally for a long time, prob never will again after reading this post... 30 bucks eh? Goes a long way at an UnRally. :grin:

Did the Monitor pass on Fri (89)...

Yes , they indeed ruined an otherwise great pass for motorcycles..At least my normal pace anyway... After a few dips into the oncoming lane, decided to slow a bit. Rotten job CalTrans or DOT or whomever did it. Fokkers.

MB>

I am waiting for a motorcycle to go down and sue cal trans. Tar snakes on 89 are unsafe to begine with but there are places that the whole road is almost one big tar patch. It was downright scary going over it with my LT on a very very hot day. I thought the RT would be better being much lighter but it still was all over the place on a really cold day.

I wonder if the abundance of tar snakes ties in with the economy or supply problems, or both. So. Utah is a terrible mess of tar on certain roads in certain counties.

Edit: I wrote UDOT to complain after I returned from Torrey. A local Harley rider I met in Escalante told me that two or three Harley's have gone down on the tar.

Archived