IGNORED

BMW Motorrad Study

Steve W.

James Clark

Will it be graded on a curve?

(Please refer to the Volvo marketing survey article in V1N1 of Automobile Magazine.)

I think I gave them more feedback than they were expecting. I wonder if I'll win the lottery?!?!?! :rofl:

Thanks for cross-posting this link. I'm insulted I didn't see www.BMWST.com listed in the websites that folks visit regularly! :cry:

Here's to being the niche'est of the niche! :grin:

I won't win the raffle. My survey will be thrown out as blasphemous.

+1. I told them that I would buy a BMW in the future, but only a used one, out of warranty.

Also, that Honda had eaten their lunch in terms of reputation for reliability.

+1. I told them that I would buy a BMW in the future, but only a used one, out of warranty.

Also, that Honda had eaten their lunch in terms of reputation for reliability.

Thats almost verbatim of what I left them as well.

ArthurKnowles

Well I guess I like BMWs more than that. I did some comparisons on other brands, but still would buy a BMW over anything else. I'd also buy new one with a warrenty and purchase an extended warrenty beyond that.

I've owned many different brands and to this day still find BMW to be the best that I have owned. The service I get from my local dealer (SD BMW) is exlemporary. No other dealer/manufacturer has ever even come close.

I know the BMW may have issues. It doesn't bother me. I take failures in stride. It's just part of owning a vehicle. To be perfectly honest, my local BMW dealeer has stood behind the product unconditionally. That is based on my used K1200LT I bought mostly, but I just took my new one in for its 600 mile service.

Even though I did not purchase this motorcycle from them, they treated me just as if I were a loyal customer with years of service with them. My future parts purchases will also be through them. Including my new top case (just as soon as I can get up the funds) as their price offer just couldn't be beaten anywhere. I'd tell you what they told me, but then I'd have to terminate you! Or you could always call them yourself and see what they can do for you as well.

As a final comment, I've never ridden a motorcycle more suited to my riding style and requirements than the RT. I thought my 96 was a good ride, but compared to the 09 RT ... well there just is no comparison. I'm going to be putting a 1000 miles a week on this motorcycle with services due every 6 weeks. I will buy an extended warrenty before my 36K factory warrenty is up, or trade in the morocycle for a newer one. Maybe the R1300RT will be out then!

Well I guess I like BMWs more than that. I did some comparisons on other brands, but still would buy a BMW over anything else. I'd also buy new one with a warrenty and purchase an extended warrenty beyond that.

I've owned many different brands and to this day still find BMW to be the best that I have owned. The service I get from my local dealer (SD BMW) is exlemporary. No other dealer/manufacturer has ever even come close.

I know the BMW may have issues. It doesn't bother me. I take failures in stride. It's just part of owning a vehicle. To be perfectly honest, my local BMW dealeer has stood behind the product unconditionally. That is based on my used K1200LT I bought mostly, but I just took my new one in for its 600 mile service.

Even though I did not purchase this motorcycle from them, they treated me just as if I were a loyal customer with years of service with them. My future parts purchases will also be through them. Including my new top case (just as soon as I can get up the funds) as their price offer just couldn't be beaten anywhere. I'd tell you what they told me, but then I'd have to terminate you! Or you could always call them yourself and see what they can do for you as well.

As a final comment, I've never ridden a motorcycle more suited to my riding style and requirements than the RT. I thought my 96 was a good ride, but compared to the 09 RT ... well there just is no comparison. I'm going to be putting a 1000 miles a week on this motorcycle with services due every 6 weeks. I will buy an extended warrenty before my 36K factory warrenty is up, or trade in the morocycle for a newer one. Maybe the R1300RT will be out then!

I wish my experience with the dealer when my bike experienced warrantied failures was something like yours. It wasn't.......The dealer did all they could to blame the failure on me, and didn't do the repairs in a timely manner, claiming that BMWNA was holding up approval. It was only when I told them to do the repairs on my dime, I would get reimbursed when I took BMW to court, that the parts showed up the next morning, bike done that afternoon. So no more new Beemers for me. I really like the bikes. I don't like getting strung along when there product breaks. YMMV. Good Luck!

ArthurKnowles
I wish my experience with the dealer when my bike experienced warrantied failures was something like yours.

I understand and sympathize with you. I know not every BMW dealer has the same level of service and commitment. It's also one of the reasons I drive an additional 30 miles past the closest BMW dealer to me. On my LT I had similar issues with NC BMW regarding a service bulletin, but when I called SD BMW the issue was resolved in a timely manner and at no cost to me.

For my own two cents, I think BMW does need to step up to the plate and assure the customer quality and satisfaction levels on every dealer. There are dealers that put forth that extra effort beyond the sale of the motorcycle and those that don't. So far I have been fortunate.

I think I gave them more feedback than they were expecting. I wonder if I'll win the lottery?!?!?! :rofl:

Thanks for cross-posting this link. I'm insulted I didn't see www.BMWST.com listed in the websites that folks visit regularly! :cry:

Here's to being the niche'est of the niche! :grin:

Done!

I dun added http://www.bmwst.com as my favorite BMW site. If we all do it maybe they'll hear us?

CoarsegoldKid
I'm insulted I didn't see www.BMWST.com listed in the websites that folks visit regularly! :cry:

Other: BMWST.COM

wbrissette

For me it's all about what I want next. If I wanted a sport bike, I see the Buell 1125CR as the bike for me. If something happened to my '09 RT, I wouldn't think twice about replacing it with another RT for touring. If something happened to my Buell Ulysses, I would debate long and hard what to replace it with. The 800 GS might fit the bill fine, but there are other players I would consider too, including replacing with another Ulysses.

There are some nice things about BMW that can't be beat, but price and depending on where you live, service are part of those things.

Wayne

ArthurKnowles
For me it's all about what I want next.

And that is the way it should be. I wish I could just do that too, but my body is too beat up from all the previous years of "fun" I had. So, I'm limited to upright (mostly) riding poitions. Anything with a tucked in posture just kills me in minutes. The RT still works for me and allows me to ride like I want and still maintain a degree of comfort my body needs.

I have not found anyone else (dealer/manufacturer) that comes close to the BMW RT line. I wanted to test out a Honda ST, but the dealer did not allow test rides. No test, no purchase. That was the day I decided to check out the local BMW dealer. Changed my life and my expectations of what service really should be. It's too bad all BMW dealers are not as good.

FWIW: That dealer was NC BMW. They have a great sales and parts division. It's only their service department that needs changing to make them a truely great dealer. It's sad (to me) that their service manager just didn't really want my business. I suspect their contract servicing CHP motorcycles has a lot to do with it.

Bill_Walker

I had trouble with the "what brand do you think competes most with BMW" question. I wanted to ask "in what area?". There's no one mfr who competes with them across the board.

I, too, listed bmwst.com as an "other" site visited daily.

fourteenfour

Well I didn't earn any points. On the "what can BMW do to earn a sporty/agile reputation" I told them.

Get real. If you want to obtain these types of riders for the brand all you will do is raise insurance rates for your current brand owners. Worse, that new 1000RR is an admission all your fancy suspension and reliability tweaks mean nothing in the world of serious sport bikes. Telescopic forks and chain drive, wow, guess you realized Honda did just fine.

You make great bikes to ride. Emphasize "affordable, safe, and reliable fun". Because currently you only have one of the three down pat and that is safety. The other two need a lot of work. From overpriced accessories and service costs to down right annoying issues that crop up and never are acknowledged.

Figure it out.

Well said... not at all unlike my reply.

From a company point of view there is a lot to be said for picking a market and sticking with it. Think MV Agusta/Ducati/Aprillia/H-D/ etc. It is hard to be all things to all people and do it well.

Is BMW Motorrad trying to become a sport bike company, or is that just a dalliance? Is it abandoning Touring? Is it bypassing reliability for flash? Have they finally gotten too arrogant for their customer base?

We will see.

Ladies & Gentlemen -

Please be VERY cautious of this link - there is a high probability that this is just someone looking for your information.

This site has been sent to BMW New Jersey (the mother ship) for verification and until we get a positive response, I would exercise caution. My wife works for BMW FS here in Columbus and she turned over this site to the appropriate people to verify it. Hopefully we'll get a response tomorrow.

Until then - be careful out there!

Jim

wbrissette

If you need any clarification regarding the questionnaire or the study, please do not hesitate to contact me, Hermann Riess by email at hermann.riess@bmw.de or under +49 (0) 89 382 59674.

-=-=-=-=

Seems easy enough to verify... give the number a ring.

Archived