IGNORED

Touratech Modulating Rear LED Brake Light

lopaca

Paul In Australia

Can't understand why you guys would put up with mucking around for so long, when their are products on the market that are better ( visibilty wise anyway) and work first time, every time.

If you want lights, just buy the ones that work that everyone knows about.

best regards

markgoodrich
Can't understand why you guys would put up with mucking around for so long, when their are products on the market that are better ( visibilty wise anyway) and work first time, every time.

best regards

Well, I can only speak for myself, Paul. I have seen almost all the add-on LED systems on the market, and find them less than optimum in daylight; yes, they're very bright at night, but I want to be conspicuous in daylight, too, and I don't think the available LED units are. I certainly agree with your comment in regard to Road Rocketeer; they clearly cannot deliver a working product. I have stated my desire to use OEM lighting on several occasions, thus my patience with Kriss Industries. I have what I want, and now, because of my patience, and because of Kriss' persistence and ability, if others want the same system, it is available.

Cheers,

M

Well, I can only speak for myself, Paul. I have seen almost all the add-on LED systems on the market, and find them less than optimum in daylight; yes, they're very bright at night, but I want to be conspicuous in daylight, too, and I don't think the available LED units are.

I'll echo Mark here (thank's Mark!) with the exception that the Road Rocketeer unit could potentially fill the bill, but not until they get the design issue I experienced as well as the customer service issue every one else seems to experience resolved.

If you are aware of any similar units which actually function, I'd be interested...

Paul In Australia

best regards

Well, I can only speak for myself, Paul. I have seen almost all the add-on LED systems on the market, and find them less than optimum in daylight; yes, they're very bright at night, but I want to be conspicuous in daylight, too, and I don't think the available LED units are. I certainly agree with your comment in regard to Road Rocketeer; they clearly cannot deliver a working product. I have stated my desire to use OEM lighting on several occasions, thus my patience with Kriss Industries. I have what I want, and now, because of my patience, and because of Kriss' persistence and ability, if others want the same system, it is available.

Cheers,

M

Hi Mark

Fair enough, each to their own. I have Hyperlites and find them very conspicuious in daylight or night time. They worked within 10 mins of arriving in the box and have never stopped and cost less than US$100.

Just seems to be one of the answers that works, but as you say it depends on what your opinion of "LIGHT and SHOW" is. Several LEO's have noticed mine ( unfortunately on one occasion.)

best regards

Paul

best regards

Paul,

Well.. for me, I got all enthused when I read original posts in this thread and over at BMWMOA regarding the product offered through Touratech.

Upon further investigation I found that the product could be purchased directly from the manufacturer (RR). I ordered one. Then the trouble posts to the thread began to appear. Too late for me, I had already paid. Gave RR a chance to respond. They have not followed through with product or communication updates. Paypal dispute is logged. Paypal claim to follow shortly. Just want my money back. I'll buy something else. Dmilan

Well, I can only speak for myself, Paul. I have seen almost all the add-on LED systems on the market, and find them less than optimum in daylight; yes, they're very bright at night, but I want to be conspicuous in daylight, too, and I don't think the available LED units are.

I'll echo Mark here (thank's Mark!) with the exception that the Road Rocketeer unit could potentially fill the bill, but not until they get the design issue I experienced as well as the customer service issue every one else seems to experience resolved.

If you are aware of any similar units which actually function, I'd be interested...

I just got through installing the BMW Supplemental LED in my '08 RT this morning, and it fits the bill. I was ready to order a Road Rocketeer unit till their troubles started, then I called Kriss and was ready to order till Mark's initial problem started. I finally gave up and ordered the BMW unit.

Installation took about an hour (and I'm a mechanical klutz), and everything fit perfectly.

I just got through installing the BMW Supplemental LED in my '08 RT this morning, and it fits the bill. I was ready to order a Road Rocketeer unit till their troubles started, then I called Kriss and was ready to order till Mark's initial problem started. I finally gave up and ordered the BMW unit.

Installation took about an hour (and I'm a mechanical klutz), and everything fit perfectly.

The BMW Supplemental LED is just that. Supplemental. As such, it appears to be fine. It is not the brake light replacement type I am looking for.

markgoodrich

Well, I have disappointing news to report. Group ride today, everyone noticed and commented on my new flasher, and once again, I noted that Hyper-Lites aren't very visible in bright sunshine.

The disappointing news is that in my earlier post mentioning no yellow triangle fault indication, I'd installed the unit and tested it, but with just the ignition on. When the engine is running, the fault code flashes ever so briefly, just a fraction of a second, just like the bulb-out indicator. I was working in the garage last night, and it didn't occur to me to test the unit with the engine running.

I've informed Kriss of the situation, and will wait for their reply. George may just throw his hands up and say the heck with it, as his BMW customer base is beyond tiny. We're leaving Tuesday for a couple of weeks, so I may not have a report until my return. The unit itself works great, as I said earlier.

Flame away....

I called again today. Another fix is on the way - this one with some sort of bracket.

Don't everyone call as they are slammed right now trying to get these out.

Just know that they are shipping them out as they get them done.

When I get mine I will post the results.

I had the Kisan TailBlazer brake modulator and Hyperlites on my 1150RT. I recently installed Hyperlites on my 2006 RT and am getting the TailBlazer (model 20WS-2 pack) brake light modulator for it as well. I contacted Kisan yesterday and they confirmed that it is compatible with the R1200RT CANBUS system.

I had the Kisan TailBlazer brake modulator and Hyperlites on my 1150RT. I recently installed Hyperlites on my 2006 RT and am getting the TailBlazer (model 20WS-2 pack) brake light modulator for it as well. I contacted Kisan yesterday and they confirmed that it is compatible with the R1200RT CANBUS system.

I'm currently using a Kissan and I'm happy with it. You will get a bulb failure warning while it's flashing but that lets you know it's working.

best regards

Paul,

Well.. for me, I got all enthused when I read original posts in this thread and over at BMWMOA regarding the product offered through Touratech.

Upon further investigation I found that the product could be purchased directly from the manufacturer (RR). I ordered one. Then the trouble posts to the thread began to appear. Too late for me, I had already paid. Gave RR a chance to respond. They have not followed through with product or communication updates. Paypal dispute is logged. Paypal claim to follow shortly. Just want my money back. I'll buy something else. Dmilan

Refund received via Paypal claim.

Glad to have it finally resolved.

Now to decide on some other supplemental LED set-up.

Dmilan

I had the BMW OEM LED Modulating supplemental rear Brake Light/Tailight installed on my '09 RT and it looks great and works perfectly!

I called again today. Another fix is on the way - this one with some sort of bracket.

Don't everyone call as they are slammed right now trying to get these out.

Just know that they are shipping them out as they get them done.

When I get mine I will post the results.

Fix did not arrive. I just called, yet again, and was, again, promised that it would go out and they would email me a tracking number.

If it gets here, I will post the install results.

Ok, for all of those that want to say "I told you so" you are vindicated. The second fix was a no go as well.

You can't say that I did not give it the ol' college try and Road Rocketeer the benefit of the doubt. But after 2 fixes and god only knows how many months, I will calling Touratech tomorrow for a return lable.

It is really too bad, because the light is super brilliant even before you apply the brakes. Guess we will have to wait for BMW to come out with an LED replacement light.

I am really bummed, but it was worth the try.

Ok, for all of those that want to say "I told you so" you are vindicated. The second fix was a no go as well.

You can't say that I did not give it the ol' college try and Road Rocketeer the benefit of the doubt. But after 2 fixes and god only knows how many months, I will calling Touratech tomorrow for a return lable.

It is really too bad, because the light is super brilliant even before you apply the brakes. Guess we will have to wait for BMW to come out with an LED replacement light.

I am really bummed, but it was worth the try.

Very patient of you. I bailed on the deal after some research and about 5 weeks of waiting.

You must see the glass as half full.

My sister says that I see it half empty and leaking. ha ha

Yeah, a plug and play LED replacement for the standard tailite lamp from BMW would be a good thing.

Perhaps they will be engineered as OEM into the 2010 RTs and an easy retrofit into earlier models.

Dmilan

I applaud your patience and intent to allow them to work through the issue. Sorry it didn't work out. It's refreshing of you to give them a chance to make it right, as opposed to just bailing right out of the gate.

I applaud your patience and intent to allow them to work through the issue. Sorry it didn't work out. It's refreshing of you to give them a chance to make it right, as opposed to just bailing right out of the gate.

Wow - that's nice of you to say. That being said, I got a tip from another board that may help. I am going to try one more time tonight - he got the second fix and it worked - it might be the way I did the wiring. We'll see - I hope, I hope.

Wow - that's nice of you to say. That being said, I got a tip from another board that may help. I am going to try one more time tonight - he got the second fix and it worked - it might be the way I did the wiring. We'll see - I hope, I hope.

Well - I'm Bob's "other guy" - The 2nd "fix" they sent solved the canbus error problem. I worked directly with Kevin at RR, and found them very responsive and eager to get the problem corrected. I did, however rework the bracket a little to make at a cleaner installation. Pix, etc. on the LT board at:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=407312&postcount=57

I worked through some diagnostics with Bob on the phone, and believe he has a bad module. I suggested he call RR and get a new module, and reinstall it with the new resistor "fix".

-Brian

• 2 weeks later...

After reading all of the criticism leveled in earlier posts, I thought I would share my experience.

Ordered the led module for my '08 R1200RT. UPS lost the first package that was sent. I called Kevin to inform them of the shipping issue. He indicated that they would overnight a replacement unit to me. It arrived the next day.

The kit I received contained the newest resistor, as mentioned in the previous post. Installation took all of about 15 minutes. I turned the bike on and tested the light. No fault warning for the bulb.

Damn this thing is bright. To each his own, but I would highly recommend the product based on my experience.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to share my experience too.

I originally ordered the LED brake light kit from Touratech for my 2007 R1200RT. Touratech shipped the kit no problem. This particular kit was the original version manufactured by Road Rocketeer, i.e., no resistor modification. After a relatively easy install (it takes some patience to fish the brake light assembly into the housing and attach the connection brackets), the LED brake light worked fine. The only problem was that the CANBUS system reported a brake light failure.

After riding around a few days, the failure message got under my skin. So, I removed the kit and reinstalled my Kisan light bulbs -- regular filament bulbs, but with a microchip that flashes the bulbs. NO CANBUS problem with that simple to use setup.

I then put the kit on the shelf in my garage, figuring that I'd get around to returning it to Touratech.

After reading about the updated kit -- with the resistor added -- I ordered one from Road Rocketeer. No order or shipping issues. It was shipped via UPS ground, on time, as promised.

The only problem was with the circuit board light assembly. The assembly was only partially finished -- the circuit board lacked the glued in bolts to accept the bracket screws, and it also lack the two gray guide wires that are used to fish the assembly into the brake light mounts.

So, I pulled the original circuit board out of my original kit from Touratech, installed it in the brake light assembly and connected the new resistor too. The resistor assembly mounts under the seat and is a simple install.

This workaround met with success. The light works, the resistor draws extra current, and the CANBUS system detects zero problems.

Now that I've got a working LED system, I am happy with the result. The brake light is A LOT brighter, and the light modulation is outstanding. There are several modulation options, take your pick, they all get your attention.

All in all, the system is a valuable safety tool, and I recommend it.

But, for me, it was an expensive endeavor.

Don_Eilenberger

Just a note to everyone who has a kit with a resistor. The resistor is there to fool the bulb monitor into thinking the bulb is there and OK. Since it's fooling the bulb monitor, it's now your job to see that it actually IS OK.. you can't count on the monitor (or switch-over circuit) any more.

Just a FWIW, and cover thy'butt..

Well - I'm Bob's "other guy" - The 2nd "fix" they sent solved the canbus error problem. I worked directly with Kevin at RR, and found them very responsive and eager to get the problem corrected. I did, however rework the bracket a little to make at a cleaner installation. Pix, etc. on the LT board at:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=407312&postcount=57

I worked through some diagnostics with Bob on the phone, and believe he has a bad module. I suggested he call RR and get a new module, and reinstall it with the new resistor "fix".

-Brian

Well Brian I tried to convince them to send a different board but they would not have any of it - so when I got back from Alaska I simply shipped it back to Touratech for a refund. Maybe I will try again later in the year and see if I have more success.

Great to hear that yours is working! It is a brilliant product as long as you can get it to work.

Archived