IGNORED

Route Planning

skinny_tom (aka boney)

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I didn't see a route planning thread so I'm starting one. I'm not able to attach a .gdb file (any files for that matter), can the mods please change the permissions so that we can trade files? Is this even possible?

I've subscribed to the Pashnit forum and there's a ton of very good information over there. Pashnit sticks pretty much to paved roads, so anything found there will be useful.

There's so much to choose from, so I thought I'd start big. Here's a "7 passes" route- all paved. I didn't find any other way to run it where you don't cross the same pass twice and there is no apparent paved connector from 4 to 108 without going all the way to 49. I imagine that it would be a long long day with stops for pictures and lunch. Feedback is always welcome and appreciated. I plan to run this in the summer to get a good handle on it's requirements.

Garmin Database file (.gdb) Version 6.14.1

(right click -> save target as)

http://www.beachbus.net/UnRally/2010UnRally_Take1.gdb

For some reason, when I test download it, my browser (Internet Exploder) is changing the extension to .htm. If you're having the same problem, edit the file properties so the extension is .gdb and Mapsource will open it.

SageRider

4 to 108 connector:

from 4:

E18 (Parrotts Ferry Road) to Columbia.

In Columbia, Left on Jackson St. Becomes Yankee Hill Road.

Stay right onto Big Hill Road about 1 mile out of town.

Follow Big Hill Road. It will eventually hit a near T intersection (head right) and become Longeway Road. Stay on Longeway Road.

Left on South Fork Road. Becomes Little Fuller Road. Becomes Fuller Road. Ends in Twain Harte.

Paved all the way, tight and twisty, plus takes the folks through Columbia. A good lunch / sightseeing stop.

Completely bypasses Sonora!

I've done it on bicycle as well as motorcycle.

I'll set up a Garmin route for you.

If you have a Microsoft Live / passport account, or wish to create one, Dave and I have a Live Workspace going where we can share files. There's no cost involved.

Let me know if interested or want help setting up.

I'll take a look at you file and comment on it when I get a chance.

SageRider

OK. I've reviewed your file, and that is an excellent route for a one day is all you've got to see it all route. You're hitting the most scenic and interesting of the passes!

I'm not familiar with Packsaddle Pass Road though. Something I'll HAVE to check out!!!

Also, I suggest moving the Topaz Lake waypoint out to the highway and it will cleanup the route at the beginning/end.

I would also make routes:

1) Tioga and Sonora passes

1a) Run 120 East from 395 to Benton then combine into Tioga /Sonora Route.

2) Ebbetts / Sonora passes.

3) SR89 from US395 all the way to SR49 at Sierraville.

SR49 South to Diamond Springs

Pleasant Valley Road East to Sly Park Road East to Mormon Emmigrant Trail East to your 7 Passes route.

(Phil should be REAL familiar with the part out of Diamond Springs...)

4) A trip to Lone Pine and back, maybe via SR120 / Benton. Check out SRs: 168 264 266. Good for folks that haven't seen Whitney...

5) Also on 120 East of 395 at Mono Lake is the tufa for folks interested in geology.

6) Bodie for the off pavement folks.

7) SR49 history route through the heart of the gold country.

etc....... :)

SageRider

Phil (and Tom),

You might also wish to acquire a Microsoft office Live worksapce account.

I can either walk you (and Tom) through the process if necessary, or I can remote access your PCs and set it up for you.

All that's needed is an email address...

http://workspace.officelive.com/

http://workspace.officelive.com/FAQ

Currently I'm hosting the files and providing access to others, but there is no reason why Tom or Phil couldn't host the routes and share. Whatever works.

Others able to see this post: If you also wish access, please let me know..

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Thanks for the ideas Michael. I've just begun to play with the routes and figured I'd split off a few of the passes into individual rides. There's so much to choose from in the area, I think that it will be hard to pare down.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived