IGNORED

Grip Slippage

Rinkydink

I took the old airhead out last Sunday for a little shakedown run. The wind was gusting to 35 mph at times. I was on the freeway and realized I couldn't keep a steady speed and just blamed it on the high winds. I hit the off ramp and let off the gas to stop at the light and the throttle grip kept on turning. My grip was slipping the whole time I was riding, not real bad but when I killed the motor I could just keep rotating the grip and could probably just pull it off if I wanted to.

Didn't I hear of some adhesive made just for this purpose? I rode her on a 120 mile trip a week or so ago and didn't have this problem. What would cause this to happen all of the sudden?

The traditional solution is cheap hair spray. The grip will slip on, the spray dries quickly, and you end up with a strong enough bond to hold, but not so strong that you can't get the grip off again.

Yea, that is what I used 4-5 years ago to replace the original cracked grips. Worked great until now. Evidently the original adhesive gave up the ghost so I need to know what to use this time.

Scotts Grip Glue works well for me. Available at Cycle Gear, & most decent dirt bike shops.

Be sure to clean off the old spooge first with acetone or the like, let set for 24 hrs. before riding.

Archived