IGNORED

Small or Large Top Box for R1200RT?

imeyers

I am going to get a topbox for the R1200RT and was just looking for some feedback as to which one makes a more comfortable back rest for the passenger. I am more concerned with passenger comfort than space. Feedback would be appreciated from users of both sizes.

Thanks

Though more expensive, the 49 liter case is much more fuctional. My passengers have also liked it as it as adds quite a bit to the comfort factor.

I got the large one and love it! I use it when my wife rides or when I go touring. Excellent quality. Good back support. I think it's a little insulated too. I have had cold drinks in there on very hot days and they seem to stay cool. Not sure though. Very nice.

Another vote for the large one also. Makes a good back rest and is large enough that I run with it alone most of the time unless on a trip.

I have the big one, and it's great for what it carries. I'm not crazy about the box-like look of it though. You can't win in the looks department: the big one is too big, I think, and the small one is way too small, for the lines of the bike. But that's the way it is, and between the two I reckon it's best to go with the one that easily holds two helmets or other stuff....

One big recommendation though: get the thing painted the same colour as the bike! That does make a big difference. I've been seeing the aluminium silver coloured ones on a few RTs around town and it never looks right. I got mine painted black to match my bike, and it works.

I'm voting for the small one!! Sorry, but the large one just looks too big on the back of the bike.

I was used to the BMW top case on my 1150RT and the small 1200 case is a big improvement. Small case will hold my XL Arai and a few other items too.

Passenger has a back pad in her jacket and says the small case is fine for her. I did not buy the back rest for the small case.

One big recommendation though: get the thing painted the same colour as the bike!

I'll vote for the klarger top case. My wife says it's great and she actualy feels safer with it behind her. I too had the top case painted the same color as my bike. It makes a big diference!

bmwtopcase.jpg

Mister_Richard

I've got the large top box which is great when the wife is along, but I take it off when she's not. It is well designed IMHO but it's HUGE.

Richard grin.gif

I've got the large top box which is great when the wife is along, but I take it off when she's not. It is well designed IMHO but it's HUGE.

Richard grin.gif

I take it you mean the box is huge smirk.gif

I have the givi 52 liter top box, which I think looks fine

Steve Carter

549515-509536-untitled1.jpg.bc6a3cd5dfce06a2571524bfd3df507e.jpg

I think the biggest advantage is the ability to put a full face helmet in it. The side saddles are such a hassle and I don't car to try to put a helmet in them

I chose the smaller case, because I ride solo virtually all the time. I have it on he bike most of time and leave the side cases at home except for touring. It will easily hold my helmet along with a few other items that might normally be carried in a tank bag. Therefore, no need for a tank bag on day trips - which suits me just fine! I guess I also think it looks better on the bike because it's not so HUGE!

Brian

Well, since I just got my R12RT on Saturday, I have to order my top case. I'm going to get a 46 liter Givi V46. It comes in several colors but I'm going to get a black one so it will be closer to the color of my bike. It looks like this:

1110234020912_v46n1.jpg

1110528705502_v46n3.jpg

196_183_tre.jpg

I found it for $215 at Midwest Cycle. R12RT specific bracket will be another $90. (usual disclaimers apply)

I have the big top and it does look large - but i love the size. When i commute i can fit all my gear in just the top box.

I think the biggest advantage is the ability to put a full face helmet in it. The side saddles are such a hassle and I don't car to try to put a helmet in them

my helmets fit easily into the side saddles - unlike on the 1150's where I had to get them in just so.

I'm voting for the small one!! Sorry, but the large one just looks too big on the back of the bike.

I agree with this statement. I appreciate the fact that the large one holds more 'stuff', but aesthetically speaking, it just doesn't blend in with the rest of the bike.

I wasn't going to buy one at all, but my wife felt she needed something to lean against for safety. Unless I have a passenger on the back, I don't even use it.

Before I purchased my bike, they had the large top box on it in the showroom. It looked massive to me! I thought it was an LT when I first looked at it.

I went with the smaller case. I realize it doesn't hold as much, but the large case is just too huge.

webimg35638ii.jpg

This is my bike with the painted big top box.... It does help a lot (especially in black) to minimize its bulk.

I gotta say, though, the little one just looks too dinky on such a serios-sized machine as the R12RT. Like a pigmy head on an NFL player.

There's the choice: a black-coloured fridge or a matt-coloured peanut. Given that you can't win the looks department, maybe you should look to the relative benefits of each?

The big top box

PROS: Semi-insulated, can hold two helmets or a lot of gear, has the backrest built as part of it.

CONS: the price, the fact that it adds some wind resistance to the bike (as attested to the bugs I wipe off the leading corners from time to time when I don't have a passenger).

The tiny top box

PROS: cheaper, and you won't feel tempted to throw your computer, your lunch, your wife's handbag and your last three video rentals in there.

CONS: no built-in back rest, and the matt finish doesn't go with the paintwork on the rest of the bike (OK, OK, so this last one is an aesthetic point, not a functional one).

Whatever you choose, you can always take the thing off for solo rides. Those side cases hold plenty.

THANKS TO ALL FOR THE INFO. I decided to go with the large one. I am not sure if I will get it painted but my wife is looking foward to the added comfort. I will definitely be removing it for solo riding.

I got the large one. I keep asking the wife if its good for her but shes so in love with the heated seat that she can't give me an answer!!!

(seriously though.... she loves it!)

I had the BMW top box on my 96 RT and liked it very much. Just big enough for my helmet and a few odd's & ends. It would also hold my laptop when the helmet was not in there, Not too big and did not dominate the back of the bike.

When I went R12RT shopping, I tried my helmet and laptop in the small top box. Laptop does not fit and I could not get my helment in there either. It's significantly smaller that the box on the previous oilhead RTs. I tried the large top box and everything fits with plenty of room left over. I think it's too large and does dominate the back of the bike more but its no wider that the top box from previous oilhead RTs. While sitting on the bike, I don't notice it blocking my review mirrors any more that the previous box did and I am getting very spoiled with all that space and the ease of opening/closing it. I can actually put my helment AND a jacket in the top box together. I'm getting used to the size and probably will accept it as ok and normal eventually. I have though about painting the silver area black so i't less visually dominating but the silver does complement the silver lower side panels on the bike which helps make it look a bit more balanced, at least from the side.

If you can stand the size, you will grow to love all that space. thumbsup.gif

I have the side cases and the smaller top case (only one that fits the R12ST) and I can put my full face Arai in any of the three.

I have a R12RT and just bought the small top box.

It is great!

There is plenty of room in the smaller box for me, enough for my Helmet and wallet etc. etc.

I guess it all depends on the type of riding you do.

I was tempted to buy the larger unit as it wasn't much dearer, but it looked way too big to me, especially without the panniers.

I only use the panniers when touring.

Well, since I just got my R12RT on Saturday, I have to order my top case. I'm going to get a 46 liter Givi V46. It comes in several colors but I'm going to get a black one so it will be closer to the color of my bike. It looks like this:

I found it for $215 at Midwest Cycle. R12RT specific bracket will be another $90. (usual disclaimers apply)

Will you post a pic after you get it installed?

Archived