IGNORED

progressive compression dampening

johnlt

As some know, I recently purchased a DRZ for the Continental Divide ride this summer. The PO had modified the preloads etc. on the suspension, especially the rear to lower the bike and I wanted to get it right. Fortunately there is a local suspension expert (ZR1 Suspensions)so I made an appointment to get it set up right for me and my style. He did an outstanding job and I'm very happy with the result. Interestingly, he added in a bunch of rear preload and that actually softened the ride a lot. Sounds counter-intuitive but the DRZ as both a "fast" and "slow" compression dampening adjustment on the rear and they are progressive. With very little preload, I sit down quite a ways which means I'm in the middle of the progressive range. With much more preload added in, it is in the "soft" initial part of the range so the ride is much less harsh. Sounds strange but it does make sense and I love the result. I sit a little taller in the saddle now but the ride is much more compliant. I'm a happy camper.

Sounds like he set your sag. He measured with you both on and off the bike and set the preload on the coil right? On dirt bikes sag is a very important setting for the reason that you stated, it puts you in the right place in the travel so you use the full shock instead of starting half way thru the stroke. I had my KTM done by Dick's Racing here in Vegas and the difference was night and day when it was set up correctly for my weight. The stock coil on mine was not made for my ample figure but for one of those under nourished teenagers, even when I set everything according to the manual it could not take it.

That is correct. He set the sag. He said that I really needed a stronger spring but was on the edge for the stock spring and set it accordingly. Night and day. I believe I'll always use a pro now for a new bike just because it makes such a positive difference.

Archived