IGNORED

Affordable places to stay around Adirondacks

drswift

On the way to the Unrally we were planning on touring the Adirondacks and VT for a few days before heading over to NH. Lake Placid and the like are way too pricey in peak season, so we're looking for other options. Any recommendations for budget lodging in or around that area?

We live in the Adirondacks (near Old Forge) in the summer and will be hosting some UnRally folks on the way through before leaving for NH on Sunday with them. Check out Lake George on the Eastern side of the park -- it will probably be cheaper than Placid. Check out the Old Forge area as well as Blue Mountain Lake too -- if you like the area, get in touch with us and we will recommend a couple places to stay.

Not sure what your budget is for lodging, but I did the Adirondacks and found everything too high priced for me. I suggest taking your camping gear. I stayed in a nice campground not far from the Lake George paddle boat.

Steve:

Thanks for the invite. We were definitely thinking of some of those outlying areas. Old Forge is probably the western edge of our route. Will followup with you in late spring.

Paul: She's not into camping.

Sorry, I don't know what I was thinking about camping.

I did stay with my wife in a Bed-n-Breakfast in Ticonderoga. I wish I could remember the name of it.

DaveTheAffable

Check out Plattsburgh, NY. I used to live there. The AF Base died, but there are some ok hotels. I have friends who live in Peru, just south of there.

Ausable Chasm is cool..... Ausable Chasm

100_0540.JPG

If you travel down out of mountains from Lake Placid, via Saranac Lake, it drops you into Plattsburgh. Then, you can take the ferry across to Burlington VT or drive around the north end of Lake Champlain.

Lemme know if you want my friend to check on some hotels. He works for an airline.

Trout House in Hague. Right on Lake George. Motel rooms from $79 to $119.

Northwoods Inn - Lake Placid. Main Street. $79 to $149.

EconoLodge Lake Placid. - $89

Archived