IGNORED

The economic meltdown explained, Rick Santelli for dog catcher...

Deadboy

I missed the Daily Show last night because for some reason our dish was down (because of the bad weather in progress at the time I suppose), and Daily Show clips aren’t available in Canada until two days latter (the link you posted is blocked in Canada) and stories about Santelli’s segment is all over everywhere, and I can’t find a way to see it until Friday. Grrr...

Watched it on my DVR. On the one hand the production was funny, on the other, there are aspects of his commentary I completely agree with (especially the last one!)

Mike O

I'm still tryin to figure out what part of the Daily Show is supposed to me funny????

Where can I buy tea in bulk???????

You don't see the humor in a derivatives trader getting 'mad as hell' and chiding homeowners for being overly optimistic and making risky investments? That whole first segment was frickin' hilarious...

I'm still tryin to figure out what part of the Daily Show is supposed to me funny????...

Fundamentally it was a big poke in the eye for CNBC idiots (especially that moron Cramer)

Mike O

You don't see the humor in a derivatives trader getting 'mad as hell' and chiding homeowners for being overly optimistic and making risky investments? That whole first segment was frickin' hilarious...

Sorry I missed the humor.............

I'm still tryin to figure out what part of the Daily Show is supposed to me funny????...

Fundamentally it was a big poke in the eye for CNBC idiots (especially that moron Cramer)

Mike O

I'm fan of "The Three Stooges" so I get the poke in the eye humor.

Problem is, I'm always the one getting poked in the eye.

:dopeslap:

Couldn't agree more. It was great.

I missed the Daily Show last night because for some reason our dish was down (because of the bad weather in progress at the time I suppose), and Daily Show clips aren’t available in Canada until two days latter (the link you posted is blocked in Canada) and stories about Santelli’s segment is all over everywhere, and I can’t find a way to see it until Friday. Grrr...

Try the Comedy Network website. They're available the next day (Daily Show and Colbert Report).

http://watch.thecomedynetwork.ca/#clip145173

Yes, I finally saw it. One of Jon Stewart's best shows ever IMHO.

The crazy thing about The Daily Show is years ago it started out as a fake news show. Now the world has gotten so crazy that, for the most part, Stewart doesn’t have to make anything up anymore.

Harry_Wilshusen

I saw a poll back in Oct That said that about 40% of 18-25 y/os said The Dailey Show was their primary news source.

Harry

I saw a poll back in Oct That said that about 40% of 18-25 y/os said The Dailey Show was their primary news source.

Harry

I thought Ken was a little older than that, but I've been fooled before.

:rofl:

Hi Ken

And it seems that 40% of 50-75 y/os get their news from Fox, which is even worse. :grin:

Paul_Burkett

I watched the whole show and found it amusing and informative, just as I do Sean Hannity. When I go to the grocery store I don't buy everything on the shelf just because they say it is good for me, no, I choose the things that help make me strong. The news can be bent and twisted into what ever a person wants it to portray and whether for enlightenment or humor. Jon Stewart has many things to say and is an intelligent man, just remember that he has a Hollywood take on his show and you can be entertained and enlightened......to a point.

....just remember that he has a Hollywood take on his show and you can be entertained and enlightened......to a point.

Paul, I don't know exactly what you mean by "a Hollywood take" but considering how this expression is seldom used in the media outside extreme Right Wing (Rush, Hannity, etc) I would venture a guess this wasn't meant as a compliment. :grin:

If one looks at the background of the leading forces in Right Wing media (Rush, Hannity, etc), none have backgrounds which make them any more (or less) of an expert than the celeb's from Hollywood they so frequently bash. IMO the beauty of Stewart is how he lampoons his targets with their own words. :thumbsup:

In any case, I and many friends worried that Stewart would be lacking material (or a punching dummy) once Bush left office. Alas, once again I was wrong as it seems there is an abundance of material. :clap:

....just remember that he has a Hollywood take on his show and you can be entertained and enlightened......to a point.

Paul, I don't know exactly what you mean by "a Hollywood take" but considering how this expression is seldom used in the media outside extreme Right Wing (Rush, Hannity, etc) I would venture a guess this wasn't meant as a compliment. :grin:

If one looks at the background of the leading forces in Right Wing media (Rush, Hannity, etc), none have backgrounds which make them any more (or less) of an expert than the celeb's from Hollywood they so frequently bash. IMO the beauty of Stewart is how he lampoons his targets with their own words. :thumbsup:

In any case, I and many friends worried that Stewart would be lacking material (or a punching dummy) once Bush left office. Alas, once again I was wrong as it seems there is an abundance of material. :clap:

I have never heard Rush mention J S.....I don't know about S H.

Paul_Burkett

Oh yes, there is so much material floating around these days that it doesn't matter which side of the house floor you cheer from, the news is almost always slanted. Hollywood is about production and selling movies or television shows, whatever that media wants to depict. Michael Moore is an extreme example of pick and choose propaganda and both sides have there niche viewers, and they cater to their followers.

Mancow Muller from talk radio fame was fired because he would not back Hillary Clinton, as he was told to do, he then sued and won millions and is now on another station. That to me is proof that media is biased and has agendas....on both sides.

I did watch Stewart for a while until he unrelentingly bashed Bush and did all that he could to portray our President as a buffoon and never giving him credit for anything that he accomplished while in office. I would not want to see this done to Obama or any of our other presidents.

.. media is biased and has agendas....on both sides.

I couldn't agree with you more. IMO there are conservative and liberal media and much of the media which attempts to be accurate, but I don't subscribe to the "liberal media" myth.:grin:

I did watch Stewart for a while until he unrelentingly bashed Bush and did all that he could to portray our President as a buffoon and never giving him credit for anything that he accomplished while in office. I would not want to see this done to Obama or any of our other presidents.

Sadly this is what the media (as a whole) did with Clinton during the Monica scandal. We, as a nation, were so wrapped up in bringing down (impeaching) a president for lying about an extra marital affair that we pretty much ignored attacks from bin Laden - years before 9/11.

Bottom line, whether it is fair or not, certain people will make better targets for the comics. Clinton and Gore in their day were regular material as have been Quayle and W. Stewart was a strong opponent to many of W's actions. He used his gift at comedy and his show to make a change to what he believed would be better. Pretty much along the same line as Moore, Hannity, Rush, etc.

Colbert certainly seems to target liberals much more so than Stewart, but both have gone after deserving targets be they liberal or conservative. :thumbsup:

I have never heard Rush mention J S.....I don't know about S H.

Sorry - I didn't mean to imply Rush or Hannity directly mentioned Stewart, it was in reference to their attacks on many celeb's who have had the audacity to have made political statements promoting liberal causes (either pro liberal or anti conservative). Again, my points are that all are celeb's and are using their celebrity to promote their political views, opinions & info.

All things being equal, Paris Hilton is much hotter than either Rush or Hannity. But that's just one man's opinion...

Yes, Rush and Hannity's histrionics are just as knee-jerk predictable as any liberal Hollywood celebrity... and about as well thought out. Entertainers all.

The difference being that The Daily Show has NEVER tried to pass itself off as serious news or even serious commentary. The fact that it is treated as a semi-serious source by many folks is a much greater comment about the quality of coverage from real news organizations than it does about the Daily Show writers. Limbaugh, Hannity, and others devoutly believe that their opinions matter and the policy positions they support should be enacted into law. Stewart (and Colbert) pretty much just make fun of everything they possibly can, no matter what side of the aisle they sit on. They don't make much effort to hide who they agree with and who they don't, but they don't hesitate to lampoon anyone. And Stewart rarely editorializes explicitly. He doesn't hide what he thinks, but he doesn't make a habit of preaching. Colbert preaches, but he preaches the opposite of what he actually believes and then simply emphasizes the absurdity of the argument in order to make both his point and the comedy.

The fact that Hannity, O'Reilly, and Limbaugh are even part of a conversation about the Daily Show is pretty damn funny because those guys (and their supporters and the GOP) take themselves and their opinions so seriously. Stewart and Colbert are exactly the opposite. I love that both Stewart and Colbert are approaching Limbaugh and O'Reilly levels of influence (among certain demographics, anyway) without ever taking themselves or their shows seriously.

Hannity, O'Reilly, and Limbaugh

These guys with no influence sure seem to be getting to you guys...

Even the Pres has mentioned them on a regular basis.....

You may be underestimating them......

I don't remember anyone mentioning Jon Stewart......other than....well you know.

I ain't gonna lose any sleep over JS.....I gotta take the shocks outa my KTM. Where are those Tech Day when ya need em????

:D

[

I

I ain't gonna lose any sleep over JS.....I gotta take the shocks outa my KTM. Where are those Tech Day when ya need em????

Whip,

If you remove your shocks ain't it gonna ride awful rough??

BTW, Who is John Stewert? :S

[

I

Whip,

If you remove your shocks ain't it gonna ride awful rough??

BTW, Who is John Stewert? :S

I gotta send em off for rebuild......

...and I have never heard of JS before this thread. I had to Goggle him and then spend ten minutes tryin to find it on my Cable Programer.

Who knew??????????????

Who knew.....try everyone alive in this country under 30 for starters.

Maybe you should start with the Colbert report and work you way up to the Daily Show. As for the influence of the Hannity, O'Reilly, and Limbaugh type on the Rep. party, that just shows a lack of real leadership unfortunately. Can you imagine the head of the DNC apologizing to Stewart? Fox news would declare the end of the Dem. party and the confirmation of their long time contention that Hollywood is in charge of the DNC, but when it is one of their own apparently all is well.

Who knew.....try everyone alive in this country under 30 for starters.

That explains it........

I feel thirty, that's gotta be worth somethin.

Hannity, O'Reilly, and Limbaugh

These guys with no influence sure seem to be getting to you guys...

Even the Pres has mentioned them on a regular basis.....

You may be underestimating them......

Oh they definitely have an influence, there’s little doubt about that.

Now whether or not it’s a positive influence, well that’s a whole ‘nother matter of opinions.

...and I have never heard of JS before this thread. I had to Goggle him and then spend ten minutes tryin to find it on my Cable Programer.

Who knew??????????????

If you're serious, then all I can say is, where have you been dude?

You're the one who's out of it Ken. Don't you realize that there are only a few sources of real truth in the news and everything else is controlled by the New World Order?

You're the one who's out of it Ken. Don't you realize that there are only a few sources of real truth in the news and everything else is controlled by the New World Order?

I get all my news from BMWST.com

You guys are the greatest.

Billy helps me with my investments.

Ken has me convinced to move to Canada.

Francois has been teachin me to ski.

Pilgrim has got me gathering can goods.

And if I have as many guns as Seth, I don't need anymore.

velomoto is my bidness adviser....I'm gonna raise prices till my sales go up.

I get my racin news from Russell.

Jan keeps me entertained with his photos.

Tom is my global adviser.

I have Richard for any Union negotiating I may need.

JohnR has me digging a cave in my back yard.

David keeps me laughin at all of ya.......even he doesn't intend to be funny.

What more do I need???????????????

Sorry if I left anyone out........but you know who you are.

Whip "The Enlightened"

DavidEBSmith

Mancow Muller from talk radio fame was fired because he would not back Hillary Clinton, as he was told to do, he then sued and won millions and is now on another station. That to me is proof that media is biased and has agendas....on both sides.

Um, this story is extremely dubious. I know that Mancow reported he had been threatened when he had Peter Paul on his show to talk about Paul's lawsuit against Hillary Clinton (see here with annoying auto-starting audio) but I can find no references whatsoever to a lawsuit or settlement (other than the ones where Mancow has been sued and paid out settlements), and Mancow is not really a very credible source for anything:

On Monday June 2, 2008, Mancow made a special appearance on an early morning news program of WFLD the Chicago affiliate of FOX. Mancow was asked to give his opinions on the Democratic Primary, in particular Barack Obama. Mancow claimed that Barack Obama is a closet Muslim and Hillary Clinton had secret information about a video tape showing Michelle Obama in a racist tirade. Mancow insisted this was why Hillary Clinton was remaining in the race, as the alleged video tape would presumably harm Barack Obama's candidacy. Mancow went on to claim that he was going to meet the Pope in November 2008 and that he was going to visit to Israel as an official guest of the Israeli government. According to him, his meeting with the Pope was arranged by Cardinal Joseph Bernardin (Cardinal Bernardin died in 1996). After this, the news anchors tried to end the interview.

Official Photographer to His Majesty Whip The Enlightened.

Good, I like that. Uhhh, what did you say my salary is?

:clap:

Thanks for the link. The following really stuck out:

"What the heck? Are they really that blind to the Great Wealth Destruction they are causing with their decisions to demonize the bankers, raise taxes for the wealthy, advocate draconian cap-and-trade policies and upend the health care system? Do they really believe that only the rich own stocks? What do they think we have our retirement accounts in, CDs? Where did they think that the money saved for college went, our mattresses? Do they think the great middle class banks at the First National Bank of Sealy and only the wealthiest traffic in the Standard & Poor's 500?"

(italics mine)

I guess nobody is permitted to get too concerned just because $3 TRILLION in wealth (which belongs us dumb slobs who actually put money into our homes, or invested in IRAs and 401Ks) vanishes in smoke. Instead, we're supposed to sit idly by (in the spirit of coming together) and watch the politicians go into hock for another $3 TRILLION that they don't have, borrowed from foreign governments that are not our friends, and then paid back with interest by your kids and grandkids.

BUT WAIT, there's more. Let's also tax everyone who uses energy to pay for more social programs for people who don't work, and to hire more government employees to push all the forms around.

velomoto is my bidness adviser....I'm gonna raise prices till my sales go up.

Whip "The Enlightened"

There ya go, now THAT's a plan! :thumbsup::grin:

Nick:

Sadly, it's only the grandkids that keeps us here. (You can live pretty well in Costa Rica just on Soc. Sec.)

I've been in CA pretty much full time since 1963 and it breaks my heart to see what has happened to "The Golden State."

Well Jon Stewart was at it again tonight - Showing video of Cramer doing exactly what he claims he didn't do. Specifically - making buy recommendations on Bear Sterns just before its collapse.

Archived