IGNORED

R1200GS Brake & Clutch Reservoir Opening Tool?

Ken H.

Peter Collins

The reservoir top (the metal piece with 4 philips head screws) is exactly the same as the 1150RT. Remove the four screws and a rubber gasket will lift with the cover. No special tool needed on the 1150 at least.

The reservoir top (the metal piece with 4 philips head screws) is exactly the same as the 1150RT. Remove the four screws and a rubber gasket will lift with the cover. No special tool needed on the 1150 at least.

Nope, not on the R1200GS. They have the round plastic reservoir's which require some special kind of tool.

Clive Liddell

All I know is "Don't force it". I have seen a friend remove them (clutch and brake) but it was purely accidental that we found out how to do it.

We were fiddling around with no success when his wife came to see what was going on. With her good eyes she said "Just push in that little plastic latch (under the cap) on each side". And, off it came!

I got one to loosen up without any special tool. Look under the cap, there are some small plastic tabs that prevent it from loosening. You can push them in, carefully, with a small screwdriver.

I never removed it all the way, but the idea of not being able to remove that pissed me off. wink.gif

Now anyone know of a good way to remove the primary coils? The puller from my single spark 1150 didn't work.

Now anyone know of a good way to remove the primary coils? The puller from my single spark 1150 didn't work.

There is a puller UNDER the tray that holds your OEM tool kit... dopeslap.gif

Emoto,

I watched a BMW mechanic remove the coils. Where the spark plug wire and coil connect there is a little window. Poke a sharp awl or pick into the little window and the coil and wire will separate. There's one of those little clicker locks that BMW likes so well in there. To get the coil off the plug you need one of those sparkplug wire puller, the type that came in the tool kit of my RT, except this one looks bigger. I just ordered one from BMW. I don't know the price, but probably something like $3000.00 Euro's. confused.gif

Hope that doesn't muddy the water too much for ya!

Mike

There is a puller UNDER the tray that holds your OEM tool kit... dopeslap.gif

Not on the later builds. I guess for the first build, they were included, but if you bought your bike after that initial lot, they didn't include the tool. BMW also significantly reduced the number of tools in the toolkit.

I had to purchase mine seperately....about $15-$20 if I remember correctly.

Under the tray? Hmm...OK. I'll take a look, but I'm guessing mine isn't there.

Anyone know a P/N for this?

Found my old invoice. The number I have is 90806123561 and it was $21.00. I recall that they had a hard time finding that number as it wasn't listed anywhere. They had to call someone at BMWNA for it. I tried plugging that number into Chicago BMW's online parts search and it didn't return anything.

Archived