Good source for ammo

Lawman

I've always bought my ammo from a sporting goods store or Wal Mart and have never bought any from an on line source. I'm looking to buy a large quantity of decent target ammo for my AR-15 (.223 cal.). I've talked to others who have had problems with some of the discount ammo they have purchased on line and I don't want to end up with a bunch of ammo that will not shoot well in my rifle. Any suggestions?

As Woody pointed out, Able Ammo is good. Also Midway and Ammunition to go

http://www.midwayusa.com/ammunition

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/index.php/cName/rifle-ammo

I don't know how available the AR-15 stuff is right now, but it's hard to find handgun ammo of any quantity. The .380 stuff is absolutely gone all over the country, and 9mm is tough to find except really expensive PD and cheap ass target.

Most all ammo seems to be in short supply and prices are high..Any recommendations of a specific brand for decent target ammo for a 223 cal.?????

Billy, I don't know anything about good target ammo on that platform. Sorry. On the handgun side, you hear people who love WWB (Winchester White Box) or BB (Blazer Brass).

russell_bynum

There's also a shortage of reloading equipment. Most dies are back-ordered at least a couple of weeks, and the consumables like powder, cases, primers, and bullets can be even harder to find.

On the .223 stuff, my understanding is that all of the military activity right now is sucking up most of the .223 and .308 ammo. When you can find it, it's outrageously expensive. I'm sure AG Holder's comments last week about the administration's desire to reinstate the Assault Weapons Ban isn't helping, either.

There's also a shortage of reloading equipment. Most dies are back-ordered at least a couple of weeks, and the consumables like powder, cases, primers, and bullets can be even harder to find.

Wow, that sure seems to be the case lately (haven't made a purchase in a while.) What's the deal? Worry about the 'gun grabbers' kicking down the door (I remember the 'primer panic' in the 90's after Clinton's election), protecting your food stash (and females) from the coming world economic collapse, or perhaps just something more mundane..?

Seth, it really isn't that hard to figure out.

It's not that clear to me actually. There are several possibilities, but taking them one by one... is the military burning through so much ammo (which isn't .223 as you know, but 5.56mm) that US production can't keep up? And I don't think that the military is buying up reloading dies. Or are people really that concerned that firearms will somehow be banned overnight? (Although I suppose that if even 10% of owners do and cause a buying surge then that could temporarily outstrip supply, as happened with the Great Primer Scare in the early 90's... and I'll cop to buying a few bricks back then that I otherwise wouldn't have so I guess I was one of the contributors. :grin:) And the AWB didn't restrict ammunition so I'm not sure what effect concern over that would have have on ammunition sales.

If there's a clear single answer it's not immediately obvious to me.

I just bought 1,000 rounds of military overrun for $349 shipped from an auction on gunbroker. I prefer the military overrun stuff in 5.56 when I can find it. Pressures are higher, need to make sure you rifle can handle 5.56.

I shoot Wolf as well, it’s a little dirty and the steel is allegedly hard on extractors but I've never had an issue. Best bet for Wolf is sportsman guide. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/

Here is a great website to find ammo as well.

http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php?caliber=.223

Try Sportsmansguide.com

I have been laying in a supply in case Obi decides to ban it.

What twist AR barrel?

.223 and 5.56 will go off in the AR, but be sure to buy .223 if you are using a bolt rifle.

russell_bynum

I'd say it's a bit of lots of things.

Our economy is in a downward spiral and while most people seem to think it will rebound in a year or so, not everyone thinks that. Even if it does recover in a year or so, it certainly hasn't bottomed out yet, and poverty and crime always go hand in hand. If I'm worried high crime and I want to protect myself and my family, a gun is one of the ways to do that.

Some folks are predicting full-on economic collapse and post-katrina style anarchy. In that situation, you'd damn well better have a gun. I see that as a possibility, but not particularly likely on a national scale. Local? Sure, but not nationwide.

Then there's the folks in charge and their poor record regarding gun rights and what they've already admitted to wanting to do in that area.

On ammo, reloading dies, etc...it just makes sense that if gun sales are way up, sales of shooting accessories and ammo would be way up as well. Lots of folks who have been shooters for a long time but not reloaders have started reloading to help with the increased cost of ammo.

On .223 vs. 5.56, there's little difference (max pressure and throat length if memory serves...5.56 is higher pressure and longer throat) and most AR-15's will shoot 5.56 just fine.

Never thought about it this way but.. New to the sport folks, who probably worry about at least one of your scenarios, freaking out and gobbling up the stressed inventories? Can those numbers be reconciled? You know number of new gun owners times…. lets start with 1000 rounds each. Tag your it.

People are getting nervous out here. I think you should plant a garden.

Hugs Russell (its been too long)

russell_bynum
Never thought about it this way but.. New to the sport folks, who probably worry about at least one of your scenarios, freaking out and gobbling up the stressed inventories? Can those numbers be reconciled? You know number of new gun owners times…. lets start with 1000 rounds each. Tag your it.

People are getting nervous out here. I think you should plant a garden.

Hugs Russell (its been too long)

From CNN

"According to FBI figures for the week of November 3 to 9, the bureau received more than 374,000 requests for background checks on gun purchasers -- a nearly 49 percent increase over the same period in 2007."

The surge actually started about 3-4 weeks before the election. Basically once it became obvious what the outcome was going to be.

All of the AR-15 manufacturers are running at full throttle, adding capacity, and still running 4+ month backorders. I noticed that after AG Holder's comments last week, Rock River Arms has gone so far as to say that they can't give estimates on delivery times, and that if you try to call them good luck getting through.

Planting a garden is a good idea, but how you gonna keep your neighbor from stealing all yer food? :grin:

Honestly, I think what we're seeing is not so much hysteria and fears of total collapse...But there's lots of gun owners who've been thinking about adding something else to their safe and the almost certain threat of more gun bans pushes them over the edge (if you wanted a MX bike and the folks in charge put up a website saying they wanted to ban the manufacture and sale of MX bikes, wouldn't you go get one now while the gettin's good?). Add to that all the folks who've been on the fence who get pushed over the edge by this and you've got some pretty big numbers.

It's been WAY too long, bro. Some day you'll have to come out here and help me with my 3rd gear wheelies on the DRZ...they're embarrassin'. :eek:

Archived