Top Dead Center Tool

Rotor

I was all excited. I visualized a way to build a simple but very functional tool that would use the spark plug hole to identify Top-Dead-Center for valve adjustments on a Boxer. I even started to work on it a bit when I thought; I might want to do a little research to see if something like this already exists. How silly of me to think it didn't...

Anyone tried one of these? If so, what did you think of it?

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/ipa7886.html

Yeah, I have something simple like that which works well enough. I was just thinking of building something a little more professional when I found that tool.

Bullett, if I recall correctly the tool that 1bmwfan is using is called a BOFS.

Sometimes referred to as a Big Ole Fat Straw..... I happened into the Kentucky Fried Chicken store this week, and they have the biggest straws I have ever seen. If the Colonel's chicken was as good as Susies he would have been a General.

Are we doing a NUTD-II?

Bradley_Gillie

Just curious, is sticking something through the spark plug hole any more accurate than using the indicators on the cam chain sprocket?

Just curious, is sticking something through the spark plug hole any more accurate than using the indicators on the cam chain sprocket?

I recall that some of those indicators are off, but look at it this way - you have to pull the plug anyhow.

You can stick anything in there that won't damage/ scratch things or flake some carbon off the piston (and even that probably wouldn't matter).

I use a chopstick.

It's accurate and easy.

More accurate? Depends upon how good you are at 'bumping' the motor a tiny bit I suppose. TDC is TDC.

But the overreaching issue is that for valve clearance setting accuracy purposes it’s not that critical. These cams have a long duration flat, no lift area, and if you are off a few degree’s either way it won’t effect the valve train a bit. Close is close enough.

Yeah really, it's not like you're indexing a cam or something. For valve adjustments 'kinda close' is plenty good enough. Only BMW riders would buy an expensive tool to replace a pencil... :grin:

Interesting responses! I guess no one has tried one of those screw in type tools. I'll post a photo of what I use when my next adjustment is due. You might find it useful, simple, and a one person method.

Quote: "and a one person method."

I think all of the mentioned TDC "tools" are a one person method...aren't they?

Yep, a one hand job :eek: I meant one for the tool and one for the wheel.

I have a couple of pictures of Phil's high tech TDC tool from last year's Northern Utah Tech Daze:

289425139_5TAz6-L.jpg

289425891_Qy93d-L.jpg

Quote: I think all of the mentioned TDC "tools" are a one person method...aren't they?

I guess I'm seeing double??

I have always used a pencil, eraser side in. This last time I went through the procedure, it occurred to me to mark the pencil even with the rocker brace so I would have a visual next time. I bet that guarantees that pencil to disappear!

it’s not that critical. These cams have a long duration flat, no lift area, and if you are off a few degree’s either way it won’t effect the valve train a bit. Close is close enough.

Yup,

I've never used anything but my eyes on the valve train lift and just knowing when open is open and closed is closed.

But if you don't know this stuff the straw is good and usually FREE!

Firefight911
Bullett, if I recall correctly the tool that 1bmwfan is using is called a BOFS.

Sometimes referred to as a Big Ole Fat Straw..... I happened into the Kentucky Fried Chicken store this week, and they have the biggest straws I have ever seen. If the Colonel's chicken was as good as Susies he would have been a General.

Are we doing a NUTD-II?

Hee hee hee!!!! Yep, large plastic drink straw that you get with a travel cup. Works awesome and is just slightly more narrow than the plug hole size.

Please!!!!!!!!! do NUTD-II!!!!!! That was a blast last year!!

Archived