IGNORED

Down the left coast.

Kitsap

The Thursday through Sunday prior to Spring Torrey I will be making my way down the CA coast (roughly) with a final destination of Glendora/La Verne area. I’m looking for recommendations on places to stay at the end of each day. My considerations are good places to stroll, decent food to eat and of course reasonable accommodations. Thanks all.

That would help wouldn't it Tony?

I'll be starting from either Ashland, Or. or Crescent City, Ca.. I have not decided which direction I will ride Ca. Hwy. 36 yet.

I’m already drooling. :clap:

Like a man eyeing a smorgasbord or a See's sampler box I’m hoping the selection of routes and locations will make me sick if I try to take in too much in one trip. It would be fun to piece together a 4 day ride with suggestions from my friends down south.

36! That's my neck of the woods. :clap: I love to ride from my home town of Red Bluff, ride hwy 36 to the Lost Coast Highway out of Ferndale, up The Avenue of the Giants, eat at the Samoa Cookhouse near Eureka and then go home on hwy 299. That's a 441 mile day on some of the best roads around my area. If you eat at the Samoa Cookhouse you should buy a freshly baked loaf of bread. My wife would kill me if I didn't bring one home! I usually call in advance to have them hold a couple of loaves for me.

441Hwy36.jpg

If you come through Yreka may I suggest riding Highway 3 to Weaverville. After arriving in Weaverville head toward Redding and turn right again on Highway 3. That will take you to Hayfork and eventually onto Highway 36. I’d be very surprised if you see very many cars on any of Highway 3 or Highway 36. All the roads are paved, but be careful, you’ll encounter loose gravel on some of the turns.

221milesWeaverville.jpg

So many great choices!

278896323_vJaw8-L.jpg

If you leave from Ashland, I can also highly recommend hwy 96 to 299. (96 pictured above)

If the distance works right, I recommend staying just about anywhere in Gualala. Eat at Bones on the south end of town. There's a neat little set of four rustic bluff-top cottages called Serenisea just north of town. (They also rent houses in the area).

Farther south, another option I've enjoyed was La Serena Inn in Morro Bay. Inexpensive but nice quality place.

Between them are about 360 incredible miles on Hwy 1. Very curvy though, so a quite respectable day's ride.

If you come through Yreka may I suggest riding Highway 3 to Weaverville. After arriving in Weaverville head toward Redding and turn right again on Highway 3. That will take you to Hayfork and eventually onto Highway 36. I’d be very surprised if you see very many cars on any of Highway 3 or Highway 36. All the roads are paved, but be careful, you’ll encounter loose gravel on some of the turns.

221milesWeaverville.jpg

Bingo! Nice riding country. Or, as said earlier, take the Klamath River Highway to the coast just south of Hornbrook on I-5.

Also, when you leave Ashland, ride Highway 66 to Emigrant lake and take Old Siskiyou Highway that comes into 66 at the south end of the lake to the top near Callahans Restaurant. From there you can either jump on I5 or continue south on the old highway until it joins I-5 at Hilt.

Archived