R1200RT corrosion

pdes

How are your bikes doing for corrosion? Mine is one year old and has 22k on the clock. Here in the UK, we have had the worst winter for years which has meant much salt on the roads for a couple of months. Nevertheless, I am really disappointed at the corrosion creeping into the bike. I have just had the two pieces of bodywork that support the rear pegs replaced as the aluminum was bubbling. I have noticed rust at the top of the forks and around the exhaust seams and when the saddle was off, I notices a ring of rust around a frame weld. Also, there are many bolts etc. around the brake units also showing signs of corrosion. If this was a car, there would be uproar. Have I bought a "lemon" or is this par for the course?

you aint bought a lemon...... you bought a BMW with all its known faults ..... corrosion and unreliability built in, aswell as fuel reg problems that once out of the warrenty, costs about £80..... appart from all that..... its the best bike on the road when its going... and the bigest heap ah shit you have ever owned.......

i got one ane love it for all its faults.....

regards

Alan

Must be your weather and roads. I've got an '06 R12RT with 75,000 kms and there's not a sign of corrosion anywhere that I can see. BTW, we have lots of salt on our roads in winter, but nobody here is crazy enough to ride on them.

They seem to have got the corrosion problem pretty well licked with cars, but not with bikes.

Seems absolutely wrong that a bike the price of BMW, and at its supposed quality level, corrodes.

In discussion with the dealer, he says BMW UK's story is that they use a different kind of salt/road grit in Germany to the UK, so the problem doesn't affect their own market. I have no way of knowing the truth of this.

I wash mine obsessively after each winter run, but (as with my old R1150RT), the problem continues.

Supposedly you can use ACF or the Scottoiler product to eliminate the problem, but where to apply it and get a result?

My front axle is now starting to show rusting, and the disk fasteners are corroded.

But my present bike, I just keep replacing fasteners to keep it looking less than a rust-heap.

Can't use stainless fasteners into alloy, so it's not as simple as that. (Although BMW fasten the RT's front mudguard with small stainless screws, which with the salt action galls, and needs to be drilled out. Engineering excellence or what? Doh!)

Love the bike, but hate the rust, which is surely a result of thoughtless design?

This has come up before and I will repeat what I said then.

Aluminum, Al Alloys and SS and steel in combination are prone to degradation when exposed to salt and other pollutions that become galvanic.

When we flew float planes on the ocean we always flushed the planes completely with fresh water. When I say flush I mean fire hose flush, lots and lots of water.

The worse thing to do is a wash. The water just pushes the salt into nooks and crannies where it begins its work.

Once the first salt goes down here I do not wash my bike, once we get the first major thaw and rain then I take the garden hose, pull off everything I do not want wet and flush, flush, flush.

NO high pressure, just lots of water.

My '06 is just fine. And my RT was good as well.

BTW sea side riding where you have high humidity and salt spray is the worst.

FWIW

I have not ever owned a bike that did not get at least some corrosion, it's just part of life. Hell the bike doesn't complain about my wrinkles or weight so I don't complain about the way it ages either. Like Lieareagle said, wait till the salt is off the roads before you wash it then flush well with low pressure fresh water. If they use calcium cloride on the roads then get it off as fast as you can though, that stuff is nasty and will eat away at everything.

Dave_zoom_zoom
Must be your weather and roads. I've got an '06 R12RT with 75,000 kms and there's not a sign of corrosion anywhere that I can see. BTW, we have lots of salt on our roads in winter, but nobody here is crazy enough to ride on them.

Wellll- I wouldn't say "nobody".

My riding buddy & I are year-rounders.

My desire to ride is simply greater than the winter problums & increased hazards.

It seems A good flushing (as indicated by others) after each ride, is the best way I have found.

That can be a problem if it's below freezing & you don't have a warm place to flush. You probably know, that wet/damp conditions with warmth will accelerate corrosion. Do not park in the warmth with the salt still on the bike!

Sorry you have this problem, but it's good to hear from another crazy year-rounder.

Ride on!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dave

Archived