IGNORED

Where to find used engine?

EdG

I've enjoyed my 2003 RT for 56k miles. It's been blast to ride but that ended abruptly last Sunday when a crankshaft bearing failed, destroying the engine (Blue Moon's assessment).

Any thoughts on how I might locate a used engine in the Atlanta area to keep this bike going for a while longer without a huge investment?

Thanks

excellent condition from ‘04 1150RS w/20k miles

Complete engine, $950

Contact Greg Sharp at

Telephone 2085287444

You can have it shipped to your location many different ways.

I would call on this.

Good luck with the motor replacement.

Failed crankshaft bearings must be rare, as I don't recall reading about one before on this site. I'm just wondering whether the engine might have overheated before that happened?

I had not noticed any overheating and was only 15 minutes into this ride. No explanation was apparent. I was really surprised and bummed that this happened at only 56k miles.

BB dosen't currently have any engines for your bike. So you wont be uing them for your needs right now.

Mike however is a stand up guy and runs a good operation. I was sent a dud part and he shipped out another at no cost.

So, the report you are getting about mixed results is in my opinion, unfounded. Again, when dealing with used parts anything is possible. Mike though is a stand up fellow.

Thanks.

My dealership reported mixed results with

BeemerBoneyard. What have others found?

A dealership will report mixed results because it may take business away from them. That's from me and I work at a BMW dealer. I personally have the best experience with Mike Figielski/beemerboneyard. Sorry it happened.

Watch out with the 2004 engine. Your 2003 is single spark (one plug each side) the 2004 is twin spark (two plugs each side). I'm sure there are many changes needed to install a 2004 motor.

Thanks.

My dealership reported mixed results with

BeemerBoneyard. What have others found?

I bought an OEM exhaust header pipe from them. Perfect. The part was perfect, the transaction was perfect.

Failed crankshaft bearings must be rare, as I don't recall reading about one before on this site.

Yeah, almost unheard of, which makes me ask... how did they diagnose that the bearing failed and that the engine is 'destroyed' without a teardown inspection? The failure could have been as catastrophic as they say, or it could be repairable. No way to really know until you go in and take a look.

That said, repair would probably only be cost effective if you did the work. At full list parts and labor rates the cost of repair could exceed that of a used engine pretty quickly.

Failed crankshaft bearings must be rare, as I don't recall reading about one before on this site.

Yeah, almost unheard of

Here's the only instance I found on this site in the last three years:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=35019&Number=376636#Post376636

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=39128&Number=424680#Post424680

Here's the short version (and I hope I get this right):

elkroeger's engine lost all its oil catastrophically while driving down the freeway. It overheated while the rider continued riding, until noticing engine noise. After refilling with oil and running, the oil had metal flakes in it, leading to a tear-down where the damage discovered included the crankshaft journal bearing.

So I'm just curious whether it takes something that extreme to ruin the crankshaft bearing.

John Ranalletta

There's an '04 engine on ibmwr.org.

Category: Oilhead R- parts for sale

2002-2004 R1150 R/RS/GS/RT Parts

Many parts and major components in excellent condition from ‘04 1150RS w/20k miles. Most will fit ’02 thru ’04 1150 oilheads. INCLUDING: Complete engine, $950; transmission(6 speed), $800; final drive, $300; rear rim,$300; alternator,$175; Hall Effect (crankshaft) sensor, $100; ALSO: Motonic computer, F & R rotors, instrument cluster, rider info display (RID), starter, headlight, turn signals, tail light, throttle bodies W/TPS, fuel pump, handlebar switchgear w/heated grips and brake/clutch assy, several RS specific fairing pieces. Too many parts to list here. Call or e-mail for more details, photos & prices.

Price: See ad or call for details

Contact Greg Sharp at

Telephone (208)-528-7444

Posted Sunday, February 01, 2009 at 14:50:10 (EST)

I'm not sure why no one has suggested this yet, but what is to be lost in voicing your problem to your local dealer, and seeing if he will forward it to the area rep.

An unusual problem with such low miles might get a look see !

I've personally seen this happen with a much higher mileage BMW sedan, where the engine was replaced because "that just does not happen to our engines"

Worth a try - yes??

I'm not sure why no one has suggested this yet, but what is to be lost in voicing your problem to your local dealer, and seeing if he will forward it to the area rep.

An unusual problem with such low miles might get a look see !

I've personally seen this happen with a much higher mileage BMW sedan, where the engine was replaced because "that just does not happen to our engines"

Worth a try - yes??

Always worth a shot, but motorcycles are not cars. The most likely reason for a boxer motor to develop early death syndrome is the engine continuing to run on its side after a drop. These motors do not tolerate running without oil circulating.....Even for short periods......And the damage may not surface for quite some time after the precipitating event. I do not know if the OP is the original owner, or the history of the bike. But you can bet that BMW in their wisdom is going to presume that something of this sort is what caused the gremlins to reign in the bottom end of that motor.

Archived