How to Plan LA to NY

Rob F.

Two weeks one way. I'd like to travel some nice scenic routes and visit the "must sees". Probably stay out of Texas since I've heard it takes forever to get out of.

Well then I'd suggest you go north, then east. Things to consider:

Total miles and where you are on maintenance/tire schedule? Do them ahead or pre-schedule a service en route? I'd do extra maintenance ahead rather than waste trip time if it were me.

Suggest minimal clothes that you can wash in a sink and hang to dry... light weight synthetics. Suggest you be prepared all weather conditions from freezing and snow to extreme heat. Bring salt tablets with potassium. We carry enough tools to fix a flat and pump up the tire. Some carry none.

GPS is optional. A good atlas set is good even if you have a GPS.

Don't know what you consider "must see". Don't know what you have seen before. But considering it will be summer I'd suggest that you consider Hells Canyon, Lolo Pass, Glacier, Yellowstone and the Beartooth/Chief Joseph Highways in the west. Then possibly something around the Great Lakes. Isle Royal for instance, or one of the Provincial Parks north of Lake Superior. The Adirondacks are good in NY. Also maybe Niagara Falls would be something you'd enjoy. Possibly Montreal or Quebec. If you are going into Canada you need to check with your insurance agent and I'm not sure where we are on the passport thing. You could consider less in the west and more time in the east. Perhaps something in the way of the Bay of Fundy, and down the East coast?

Alternatively you could do a nice Utah/Colorado run out west with Mesa Verde and some of the other national parks, then shoot over to the Blue Ridge Parkway and on up. Much hotter, but it all depends on what you want to see.

I'd say name four of five things you think are must see and I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions of great routes around them.

Wow, two weeks one way. There are a lot of options open to you. Sounds like fun riding it as well as planning it.

What time of the year are you planning on going.

How do you go about planning a trip during the summer from LA to NY? I have two weeks.

Wow, two weeks one way. There are a lot of options open to you. Sounds like fun riding it as well as planning it.

What time of the year are you planning on going.

Sorry, you did mention what time of year... Summer. :dopeslap:

I need to clear my head and go for a long ride somewhere. :grin:

Yes. I am going to have it shipped home to LA from NY. I only have two weeks off from work and want to take my time getting to NY. I have gotten a quote for about $600 to ship the bike back home.

2 weeks that's excellent. Take your time an enjoy a nice easy pace.

Personally, I could do the whole 2 weeks in the west. Over to AZ and into NM, up into to CO and up & through and over to UT. Curve back around up into ID, MT and back over to WA and down into CA.

Sorry but if you don't think you'd like TX, then Nebraska or Kansas is not going to appeal to you either.

Once you get east of Denver it's "a little" anti-climactic from there.

If you've never ridden the Blue Ridge Parkway, then I'd advise that you get to Denver and then just high tail it across Kansas (or ... go souuth a bit, maybe past the Rincon volcano field and across the Oklahoma 'No mans land') and get to southern Missouri and northern Arkansas. Once you are in the Ozarks, you can ride low volume two lane blacktop through Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee, North Carolina, and Virginia. Drop down to north Georgia if you get a chance and we'll show you some beautiful rides and great restaurants.

You'll have the Cherohala Skyway and Blue Ridge Parkway for over 500 miles ... add the Skyline Drive and you are in DC without riding on superslab anywhere east of the Mississippi. The BRP is the closest thing to motorcycle nirvana you'll find ... beautiful country, no traffic, no crossroads, no driveways ... no straight roads.

Archived