IGNORED

R1200 RT Trunk???

ChuckS

I rarely ride two up and am wondering if there has ever been a trunk type of option on the older RT's I am speaking of one that would replace the rear seat much like those found on many sport bikes. Wishing that there was one for the new RT thumbsup.gif

Chuck:

I use a black BMW duffle type piece of luggage over my back seat. It wasn't made for motorcycles. It's pretty waterproof except for the zipper on top, which leaks a tiny bit. I spray it down with Scotchguard before my annual big trip just for insurance. The sun has faded the black after about 6 of these long trips since I began using it. Since I just keep riding gear in it, a little moisture's not a big deal. Two fairly long bungies fit under/around the small top case and hook on under the back of the luggage rack, then go through the two handles of the duffle, cross, and hook to the frame under the bodywork on the sides of the bike. This thing holds a pair of leather pants and a riding jacket as well as various other items.

Usually it's cold in the morning and warm after about 11AM. I can unhook the two bungees and get at my stuff in about a minute.

I use liners in my side cases and have a Big Mak tank bag. When I get to a motel for the night, the liners come out of the side cases. These and the tankbag all fit in one hand and the duffle in the other. I get to the room in one trip with all the stuff I might need for the night and the bike is stripped of anything easy to steal.

I bought my bag at the BMW store on the grounds of the South Carolina BMW plant in the early 90's. I didn't own a motorcycle then and it sat in my closet for years. I found it to be about the perfect size. Has a stiff board in the floor of it and stiff parts along the top that help it keep some of its rectangular shape when it's not quite full. It fits sideways across the pillion seat and isn't so wide that it blocks the view out of the side mirrors. This is better than a permanent replacement for the seat because you have a normal looking bike when you take everything off for the evening.

I'm sure that you can find something that would work at least as well as this by taking a few measurements and then going to REI or one of the other outfitter stores and looking at the waterproof duffels. Make sure it has handles in the middle that you can thread your straps through and you're set.

-TB clap.gif

Archived