IGNORED

High idle issue

Adaman1001

I have an 04 RTP with an idle issue. When the bike is started it immediately goess to 4000 rpm. I have checked for intake leaks and the TPS but still no resolution. Any suggestions?

ShovelStrokeEd

Throttle lock or the throttle cable is out of whack. Sounds like excessive slack allowed it to pop out of a grommet somewhere and lodge out of the seat.

Check, starting at the handlebar and working your way down. As I recall, there is an adjuster for slack somewhere near the throttle, kinda a little barrel looking dohicky. If the lock nut for that was not made up, it may have backed off and removed slack from the cable.

Worst case, your bowden box has jammed up from dirt entering. PITA to acess (battery box needs to come out).

I found the problem but now the throttle behaves radically. Its almost like the throttle is delayed. I assume it is the throttle position sensor? But I'm not sure of the proper procedure to set it.

well the tps ... is just a smal sensor and you dont have to set it ... just keep out the old one and place the new one

just make sure that you dont mising some air when you put the new one i mean seal

ShovelStrokeEd

What exactly was the original problem?

TPS is pretty reliable. Did you check the sweep voltage? I don't remember the pin #'s but I think it is the red wire for the signal and brown for the return. Should go from about 400 mV to 5 volts over the full range of the throttle. Could be as low as 320 mV on the bottom and it won't get all the way to 5 volts. Base TPS value with the throttle closed should be around 320 mV < TPS < 400 mV.

You may have to "teach" the ECU the throttle position sensor sweep. Disconnect battery ground for about 1 minute. Reconnect.

Turn key on but do not start engine. Move throttle twice from idle position to full open. Turn key off.

That procedure should not be strictly necessary with your bike as, over time, the ECU will learn the throttle position but this eliminates the over time component.

is there a way I can test the pressure sensor without taking the bike all apart? Also, there is now a knocking sound when the bike is in neutral and the the clutch is out.

is there a way I can test the pressure sensor without taking the bike all apart? Also, there is now a knocking sound when the bike is in neutral and the the clutch is out.

The knocking is from the tranny and is due to designed-in slack in the transmission dogs. The sound is normal and will not cause harm. The noise is always worse when the throttle/valve clearance synch is less than perfect but will be there even with a perfect setup.

Andy

Archived