IGNORED

Front axle tool for R1200 RT

hieronymous

The very limited tool kit provided by BMW does not includes an adapter to remove the quick-release front axle on the RT. Here is a pic of my very effective substitute. It consists of a 22mil hex nut welded to a 17mil hex cyclone rod connector. Total cost $2.

4257.jpg.1b9c0ba92ca19e0e725a54298956e2a2.jpg

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

And for about the same price you can buy a 22mm Hex Bolt from ACE hardware, and two nuts to go on it. Then turn the nuts to lock them together.

I used the larger of my sparkplug sockets turned backwards. The hex part fit perfectly and after pulling out the rubber thingy a 4 inch extention allows the rachet to be used. Oh the socket is a Craftsman 13/16ths sparkplug socket the hex end is 22mm.

You guys are missin' out.

I spent a meager $17 for a hex key at a local tool supplier. :P

Whew! I just knew there had to be a better way. All this tool talk - too technical! :grin:

- Scott

Did a search on eBay for a 22mm hex tool and found this for $8.00. Bought it and it works fine. Search eBay for item number 290290545516

No affiliations, other than a satisfied customer.

Nice tool, but isn't it rediculous that B-ring M-ore W-allet doesn't supply the basic tools such as a lug wrench for the rear wheel bolts or a front axle tool. :S

cycle gear has a tool for that. Don't remember price but not over 20 in any case. Easy to get and use. It has like three different sizes of external nuts and internal 3/8 I believe.

Archived