IGNORED

Those rubber sidecase protectors for 12RT?

Sailorlite

I haven't dropped my 1200RT yet but I am wondering whether I should install the sidecase protectors before my first drop, or whether instead I should wait until after the first drop. Would the protectors probably cover up any paint damage? Obviously I would prefer not to buy and install them if I don't have the problem, but will I have lost anything by waiting until AFTER the first drop and then using them to cover up?

They are totally worthless, even in a zero speed drop on smooth pavement. Impact occurs above the protector on the side case.

I think they are more for rocks etc flying up from the road or back from the front tire. There was a guy on another forum that did a low speed lay down on gravel and he reported that there was no damage to his panniers with the protectors on. I am going to order a set for my RT. I want them mainly for the rocks etc that fly up from the road. I had a lot of small chips on the lower front and botton edge of the panniers on my Guzzi from stuff flying up from the road or back from the front tire.

Zero speed tip over due to brain cramp. Protectors are mounted as directed by the instructions from BMW:

276464208_6NgUq-M.jpg

After I repainted the side case, I mounted the protectors higher up on the case near the area of the lower set of scratches, but I haven't tested them again. I'll see if I have a picture.

404214589_muwN6-M.jpg

I haven't dropped my 1200RT yet but I am wondering whether I should install the sidecase protectors before my first drop, or whether instead I should wait until after the first drop. Would the protectors probably cover up any paint damage? Obviously I would prefer not to buy and install them if I don't have the problem, but will I have lost anything by waiting until AFTER the first drop and then using them to cover up?

Your attitude is all wrong..Think of the sidecases as your bike protectors.. :dopeslap:

Your attitude is all wrong..Think of the sidecases as your bike protectors.. :dopeslap:

I'm about to spray mine with that bedliner stuff, and call 'em good.

++1 :rofl:

My son is seriously considering that option for his dirt bike.

I got my 2005 R1200RT with 42K miles on it late last year. It was pristine, virtually no scratches on the windscreen, panniers, or other plastic. In about 1500 miles of slabbing to work on a pretty nice stretch of California I5, I've picked up nicks in the windscreen and various places on the front end. I'm wondering where the heck the last two owners rode this thing without sustaining any damage.

I guess BMW needs to certify it's paint hardness to resist bug strikes at 90MPH, as well as other ..um.. known hazards to bodywork. :dopeslap:

- Scott

++1 :rofl:

My son is seriously considering that option for his dirt bike.

I got my 2005 R1200RT with 42K miles on it late last year. It was pristine, virtually no scratches on the windscreen, panniers, or other plastic. In about 1500 miles of slabbing to work on a pretty nice stretch of California I5, I've picked up nicks in the windscreen and various places on the front end. I'm wondering where the heck the last two owners rode this thing without sustaining any damage.

I guess BMW needs to certify it's paint hardness to resist bug strikes at 90MPH, as well as other ..um.. known hazards to bodywork. :dopeslap:

- Scott

That is an awful lot of miles with no nicks . . . I don't find that credible at all. I thought I was taking reasonably good care of mine, but at around 27K I started to notice a lot of stuff like: bug juice that won't wash off and chips in the paint, that can't be attibuted to any specific incident. :S

Archived