2004 BMW R1150RT - Problems starting the bike - Bad Starter?

MUNI_RIDER

Hello everyone,

This posting is a following of the post linked below:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=28664&Number=310677#Post310677

Since I bought the 2004 BMW R1150RT that I use to go to work every day I have had starting issues. Thinking it was the battery, I bought a new one with no positive results. It takes the bike a few cranks to start, sometimes it even takes a few tries of 10 seconds each try of cranking. The bike starts fine if I push start it. I have been connecting the bike to the BMW charger weekly to deal with this issue, but the time has come to finally fix it. I would like your help to be able to fix this issue myself.

I have replaced the spark plugs with no luck!

Please help and thank you

I read through the other postings. Did you clean the connection at the Starter? This is the thick red wire that come from the positive battery terminal and attaches to the solenoid on the starter.

Also, just to clarify, the other post was confusing (at least for me) when you stated you were jump starting the bike. Above you mention push starting so I assume that you mean pushing the bike in 2nd gear and using the bike momentum to turn the engine over. Correct? (i.e. not using jumper cables).

If indeed the bike starts fine Pushing it vs using the starter motor to start it then I have to suspect one of the following problems (listed in order of simplicity):

1)Bad connection with positive or negative battery terminal.

2)Bad connection from battery to starter motor

3)Bad battery (I know it's new)

4)A Starter that starting to go bad and not turning fast enough to start the bike.

5)There is a relay that shuts down some of the non starting electronics such as lights while the bike is starting. This is to allow more power to go from the battery to the starter motor. This relay could be bad.

let me see ...

i post similar to some one else ... any way ..

first that all star for get some dirty ...

o

look out is you have a multimetrer o voltimetro for make some proofs

1 check placeing the groundin cable directy from your batery and i mean directly from you batery ground... and check with the engine out if you have some juice in to your batery... 12.75 to 11.90 .. if you have this reading ... place your multimeter in a mode for check the continus of the current... place again the grouned cable directly in to the baterry ground and the another one in the chasis if you hear a a beeeeeee and read in the multimeter 001 place the cabel near to the alternador and then in to the alternador grouned cable ... and you shuld have to get the sem beeeeee and 001 thats mean that your problem is not a bad grouned...

with your engine in runing check the voltage againg ... it show you 13.75 and 40 amps ... if it les than 11.75 your problem is your alternador ... but dont cry ... not already ...

some problems in your alternador

diodo

carbones or charcoal ( i dont know how to say it )

small brozien rings in to the alternador

or just dust in your conectors

or meaby you only burn some cells in yor brand new batery ... its ocurr if you demand much power of it or for recharge continusly with out directly suervision ( remember always charge using 2 amp no more, i lern it burning some baterys )

make this proofs and let us know if you have any succecful with that ones

good look

Your responses were lightening fast!

Mike, I indeed meant to say push start and not jump start. I checked for 1) 2) and 3) but I would check again. Regarding 4) I am not sure what the symptoms are exactly when the starter is going bad. Finally, 5) yes, the lights go off while cranking.

I will check everything again and post my findings ASAP.

Thank you!

Just posted this on another battery/starter issue, so besides checking for bad grounds etc.

Now I have heard that some later starters do experience the same issue so....

Valeo starters of that vintage are known for one or more of their magnets detaching. I recently replaced one on my 2000 R1100R that had 3 magnets gone!

Valeo changed the manufacture specs after 2001.

Now, what does your battery spec out at? 12.6v>

Does the starter "catch" but turn over barely/slowly with all the lights dying down but when just the lights are on they are VERY bright and, simultaneously, you can blast the horn?

Alex has a great write up and you can buy parts from EuroMoto Electrics.

The good news is that if it is the magnets, you may only need the "can" replaced (obtainable from EME) which will save you some serious dosh !!!

Your responses were lightening fast!

Mike, I indeed meant to say push start and not jump start. I checked for 1) 2) and 3) but I would check again. Regarding 4) I am not sure what the symptoms are exactly when the starter is going bad. Finally, 5) yes, the lights go off while cranking.

I will check everything again and post my findings ASAP.

Thank you!

I've had starters go bad on cars and they act like a bad battery. The easiest way to tell if the starter is the problem is to swap it out with a known good starter and see if the problem goes away. (I realize this may not be practical in your case). With a car you can bring the starter to Checkers and have them bench test it to see if it's drawing too much power in order to turn it. Not sure if a Velo starter can be bench tested or not. Anyone know?

fwiw my son's '04 R1150R rockster was having the same problems and after doing many other checks I finally pulled the starter and took it to a rebuild shop locally and it was bad. The rebuilt starter has solved all the problems. I can't explain it but it worked.

if you have any question about how to keep out your star engine or a directli advise using chat... dont hesitate in mail me for make an apoiment .. this gona be out of charge

meabe the next on you should have to pay

im kidding .. meabe just a beer ...

sincerly

good look

• 5 months later...
  • 7 years later...
BMW Commuting Guy

I know this is an old post but how on earth did you push start the bike? I did it with my 125 when i was learning but this feels a bit heavy.