IGNORED

First collision in space

ESokoloff

I was thinking about posting that info yesterday but Eric got it covered.

My JPL friends said it's FINALLY happened and was pretty much inevitable. Shotgun buck shot in earth orbit space...for a looong time... not good news for all the other orbiting devices.

Whoops :P

Calvin  (no socks)

Two new businesses for the stellar disasters in the new Millenium.

1. Intergallactic Recyclers Inc. and their mission statment, " Putting your Space junk back in Uranus where it belongs".

2. All Planet Insurance. "We insured Pluto for 76 Years". (the word planet redefined in 2006, not to include Pluto or any of its ice like relatives in the Universe.)

1. Intergallactic Recyclers Inc. and their mission statment, " Putting your Space junk back in Uranus where it belongs".

2. All Planet Insurance. "We insured Pluto for 76 Years". (the word planet redefined in 2006, not to include Pluto or any of its ice like relatives in the Universe.)

:rofl:

+1 !!

Sure there has been a fender bender now & then but this was the big one.

Ok now, let's see what I remember from my science class as to how a nuclear reaction works...

they showed us a short movie with thousands of mousetraps loaded and placed on the floor of a large room....

then they started the chain reaction by setting off the first mousetrap, that triggered one or more mouse traps and then four and then eight, well you get the picture...

Enter the satellite crash, first the Russian and the American one, that creates hundreds of pieces of junk which may collide with many other satellites, which then, well you get that idea too, don't you.

Anyone wants to buy my GPS, XM, Sat Reciever Box, Sat Radio, etc....

Just sayin..

Two new businesses for the stellar disasters in the new Millenium.

Someone already beat you to it:

wall-e-wave-749751.png

Luckily my employer's satellites (Globalstar) are in a orbit just slightly above the estimated debris field for this accident (300 to 800 miles.) But all that LEO space is in a dangerous neighborhood. If it were me I'd want to move to the much quieter suburbs above. :grin:

Enter the satellite crash, first the Russian and the American one, that creates hundreds of pieces of junk which may collide with many other satellites, which then, well you get that idea too, don't you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kessler_syndrome

Yeah that's what I was thinking about: "domino effect" and "feedback runaway".

Thanks Mitch, you interested in my old Garmin...?

I'm just curious how they didn't know this was coming? I'm always used to them knowing/predicting whats getting close or coming down long before it becomes an issue. I'm wondering if they knew and just couldn't do anything about it.

I'm just curious how they didn't know this was coming?

There are a lot of people from the DoD on down trying to come up with an answer for that...

Archived