IGNORED

Actors as Governors, and their impressions of Vietnam Vets

Agent_Orange

Val Kilmer is thinking about running for the Governorship of New Mexico. Recently he gave an interview and had some harsh words for Vietnam Vets.

Klosterman]: You mean you think you literally had the same experience as Doc Holliday?

Kilmer: Oh, sure. It’’s not like I believed that I shot somebody, but I absolutely know what it feels like to pull the trigger and take someone’’s life.

[Klosterman:] You understand how it feels to shoot someone as much as a person who has actually committed a murder?

[Kilmer] I understand it more. It’’s an actor’’s job. A guy who’’s lived through the horror of Vietnam has not spent his life preparing his mind for it. He’’s some punk. Most guys were borderline criminal or poor, and that’’s why they got sent to Vietnam. It was all the poor, wretched kids who got beat up by their dads, guys who didn’’t get on the football team, couldn’’t finagle a scholarship. They didn’’t have the emotional equipment to handle that experience. But this is what an actor trains to do. I can more effectively represent that kid in Vietnam than a guy who was there.

Dave McReynolds

Most guys were borderline criminal or poor, and that’’s why they got sent to Vietnam. It was all the poor, wretched kids who got beat up by their dads, guys who didn’’t get on the football team, couldn’’t finagle a scholarship. They didn’’t have the emotional equipment to handle that experience.

I wasn't like that. I was the product of a relatively coddled middle-class childhood, and joined the Marines in 1964 because I was bored in college. There were quite a few guys like Kilmer describes in the Marines in Vietnam. The thing I remember most about them is how any one of them, I can't remember a one who wouldn't, would have laid down his life protecting my back, as I would have theirs, without a second thought.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Someone please tell me that he doesn't have any chance of winning (or even getting the nomination)! Please!

Well, no, not if he keeps making statements like that...

Having not served, I don't know how anyone could "have the emotional equipment to handle that experience." The rest of his comments are, in my opinion, Balderdash

(sorry if that gets too political)

To paraphrase Homer Simpson:

"Actors - is there anything they don't know?"

Lone_RT_rider

What I want to know is, why do we as a society keep expecting people that create an alternate reality in the form of acting to be able to govern us here in the actual reality?

Amazing.....

Val Kilmer is thinking about running for the Governorship of New Mexico. Recently he gave an interview and had some harsh words for Vietnam Vets.

Klosterman]: You mean you think you literally had the same experience as Doc Holliday?

Kilmer: Oh, sure. It’’s not like I believed that I shot somebody, but I absolutely know what it feels like to pull the trigger and take someone’’s life.

[Klosterman:] You understand how it feels to shoot someone as much as a person who has actually committed a murder?

[Kilmer] I understand it more. It’’s an actor’’s job. A guy who’’s lived through the horror of Vietnam has not spent his life preparing his mind for it. He’’s some punk. Most guys were borderline criminal or poor, and that’’s why they got sent to Vietnam. It was all the poor, wretched kids who got beat up by their dads, guys who didn’’t get on the football team, couldn’’t finagle a scholarship. They didn’’t have the emotional equipment to handle that experience. But this is what an actor trains to do. I can more effectively represent that kid in Vietnam than a guy who was there.

What a complete tool

I understand it more. It’’s an actor’’s job. A guy who’’s lived through the horror of Vietnam has not spent his life preparing his mind for it.

No but the poor sod has spent his life living with what he saw and did.

He must so far up his own ar$e he see the back of his own tongue.

I think I can honestly say this without any regard to Mr. Kilmer's political viewpoint: Someone needs to give him a good hard kick in the groin.

Russell?

I think I can honestly say this without any regard to Mr. Kilmer's political viewpoint: Someone needs to give him a good hard kick in the groin.

+1. I'd like to see how his emotional equipment handles that experience.

Well, I'm not sure about this. Maybe he's also stayed at a Holiday Inn. Did you even consider that??

The poor fool!! How sad, to exist in that much of an ignorance bubble!

I hope he recovers from the PTSD he got from getting into character for Doc Holliday.

:dopeslap: :dopeslap: :dopeslap: :dopeslap: :dopeslap:

I may never be able to watch him again without thinking of those words.

wow

+1

Disrespectful and disgusting remarks I will not be able to forget.

Of course he can fly jets! He's an actor after all, so he's better prepared to fly jets than some punk who went to college, studied engineering, got accepted to flight school, etc., but for whatever reason didn't have the right stuff to recite lines on cue. Only true heroes like Val Kilmer can do that.

John Ranalletta

Give him a break. Over time, people become what they do. Actors pretend for a living; and, in time, it's difficult for them to distinguish between the reality and the pretense. Chemicals don't help either.

Give him a break. Over time, people become what they do. Actors pretend for a living; and, in time, it's difficult for them to distinguish between the reality and the pretense. Chemicals don't help either.

Agreed. In fact, I think we stumbled upon a casualty in the "war on drugs" :rofl:

Nice n Easy Rider

Sometimes you can just chalk it up as someone being a total a**hole and forget about it. But when someone insults and dishonors so many who fought for their country or who fought and were disabled or killed for their country it shouldn't be dismissed too quickly. I hope he pays for his thoughtless remarks with loss endorsements or loss film deals that will make him think twice about mouthing off in such an insensitive manner.

Agreed. In fact, I think we stumbled upon a casualty in the "war on drugs"

Of course. He did play Jim Morrison after all.

As King Philip II of Macedon, Val received his military education from General Epaminondas, whom Cicero called "the first man of Greece".

After reading this I thought there was no way he could have really said something so stupid, so I did a little digging with Google.

Apparently he did say that in an interview with Esquire magazine. The interview was done 4 years ago. Kilmer denies the quote, but Esquire stands by it.

Here's the link I found, although I certainly can't vouch for it's integrity. Link

Wow.

I’m not a Vietnam Vet (although I am of that age group) and I’ve never shot (or even pointed for that matter) a gun at anyone, and even I know that’s total asinine bullshit.

But then I’ve never been able to stand Kilmer anyway, so this just further cements my opinion of the guy even lower.

Y'all are just jealous of his fame and fortune.

And his good looks.

val-kilmer-ponch.jpg

He's not a fat, ignorant cretin.

He's merely portraying one for our benefit.

Sigh, I really liked Willow.

MV5BMjA3MTAyNzYzNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTIzOTA3._V1._CR44,0,337,337_SS90_.jpg

I don't know nothing about the guy, but what he says is stupid, specially for a politician. OTOH the title of this thread is misleading. There were/are actors who turned Governors and more who were/are IMHO not half bad.

Y'all are just jealous of his fame and fortune.

And his good looks.

val-kilmer-ponch.jpg

He's not a fat, ignorant cretin.

He's merely portraying one for our benefit.

Sigh, I really liked Willow.

MV5BMjA3MTAyNzYzNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTIzOTA3._V1._CR44,0,337,337_SS90_.jpg

I recently saw him in a prison movie on dvd...can't remember the name, but boy was he a porker!!

Given the track record of accuracy in journalistic endeavors, you all are a little quick to condemn him for this diatribe. He does deny that he said anything of the sort.

That said, I have never and will never vote for an actor for the same reason I would never vote for a fighter pilot........Their concept of reality is skewed, and they either have an eject button or think they can have another take if they screw it up.

Real life comes at you fast, and doesn't care a bit about what kind of impression you think you are making. JMHO.

And I do live (And vote) here in beautiful NM.

Given the track record of accuracy in journalistic endeavors, you all are a little quick to condemn him for this diatribe. He does deny that he said anything of the sort.

That said, I have never and will never vote for an actor for the same reason I would never vote for a fighter pilot........Their concept of reality is skewed, and they either have an eject button or think they can have another take if they screw it up.

Real life comes at you fast, and doesn't care a bit about what kind of impression you think you are making. JMHO.

Hmmm....yeah but I'd vote for the fighter pilot before the actor if I had only those 2 choices!

Hmmm....yeah but I'd vote for the fighter pilot before the actor if I had only those 2 choices!

What's the difference between the actor/fighter pilot stereotyping and the stereotyping attributed to VK?

What I want to know is, why do we as a society keep expecting people that create an alternate reality in the form of acting to be able to govern us here in the actual reality?

Amazing.....

Oh, I don't know. I did a "write-in" vote for the whole cast of West Wing in the last presidential election. :grin:

Amazing.....

tHAT..!! is truly thee question...good on you to raise it, Shawn.!

Yeahbutt.......We had one of those for president.......How did you like the last 8 years, and the next couple as far as that goes?

"Most guys were borderline criminal (How can you be a borderline criminal? I thought you were one or you weren't) or poor (Middle class all the way) and that’s why they got sent to Vietnam. (Man was I stupid, I volunteered) It was all the poor, wretched kids who got beat up by their dads, (My dad was a clinical psychologist. He never beat me, he tried to "psyche" me into submission) guys who didn’t get on the football team (nope, tennis team) couldn’t finagle a scholarship (Got a college scholarship in tennis).

Where did I go wrong?

Bruce

I doubt he truly knows what it feels like to pull a trigger and shoot someone. But if he keeps opening his mouth and insulting those who served their country and paid a dear price for it, he may in fact learn what it's like to be on the other end of that trigger.

Just sayin'.

I predict he will have a Marine come introduce himself before the election...

Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom veteran, but from 30,000 feet.

And I would never pretend to have experienced what the brave men and women in Vietnam endured. They deserve our utmost respect and gratitude. Not our scorn and arrogance.

I'll give him a pass the day after I give Jane one. Better pack a lunch, gonna be a while.

Discussions about things that are political, are allowed. Political comments are not. What’s the difference? One is a discussion about a topic that has a political element. The other is a comment in which a political party, administration, individual, office, or other identifying element is spoken of in disparaging terms.

:S

russell_bynum

An eject button is not like the reset button on a video game. First, you have to survive your airplane being shot out from under you before you can punch out. Being hit by a missile or a bunch of 20mm cannon fire can be hazardous to your health. If you happen to survive that, you punch out...which can break limbs, break your back, and end your flight career forever. And since very few fighter pilots get shot down over friendly territory, then you have a high probability of being captured. I think we all saw what happened in Somalia when some American pilots went down in hostile territory.

An eject button is not like the reset button on a video game. First, you have to survive your airplane being shot out from under you before you can punch out. Being hit by a missile or a bunch of 20mm cannon fire can be hazardous to your health. If you happen to survive that, you punch out...which can break limbs, break your back, and end your flight career forever. And since very few fighter pilots get shot down over friendly territory, then you have a high probability of being captured. I think we all saw what happened in Somalia when some American pilots went down in hostile territory.

Not my point........Fighter jockeys are taught to make split second decisions, because any decision is better than none. Being in charge of a large government entity does not often require split second decisions........Those types of decisions are better made by people used to taking their time.

The actor we are speaking of had a very visible role as a hot dog fighter jock. If he made the statement attributed to him, it shows the characteristics I am avoiding in my voting. You are free to vote for all the fighter jock types you wish.

C'mon now.

Someone "thinking about" running for governor with no party identified?

The other is a comment in which a political party, administration, individual, office, or other identifying element is spoken of in disparaging terms.

It's obvious that he's clueless.

It's far worse then that.

I can except a person that is ignorant & I can accept a person that is arrogant...

but I cant except a person that is both simultaneously.

It would appear Val possesses that unique personality I despise so.

Edit: Providing he indeed made that statement.

It's obvious that he's clueless.

It's far worse then that.

I can except a person that is ignorant & I can accept a person that is arrogant...

but I cant except a person that is both simultaneously.

It would appear Val possesses that unique personality I despise so.

Edit: Providing he indeed made that statement.

That would make him an ignoranus according to the un word dictionary

Is anyone else getting the feeling that we've taken this far enough? . . .

fdh.jpg

Well...

you got your kick in & I got mine in so yeah,

I guess it's time to move on & disregard what any latecomers may have to comment on the subject at hand.

Archived