IGNORED

Lap top screen.

Paul_Burkett

I have a Toshiba lap top and some how broke the screen. Is there a reputable place that carries replacements that you have done business with?

Physically broke, smashed, etc?

Or it's gone dark?

Because if the latter it might not be the screen itself. I don't know your respective levels of computer fixing savvy so just throwing that out there.

Hi Paul,

As Fugu asked, is it physically damaged? I don't mean to state the obvious here, but I had a service call today where a teacher said her LT was broken. When I started it there was the BIOS screen then it went blank. So I hit the fn-f8 keys and cycled it to the LT screen. (from the LCD screen)

Last time I priced a new LT screen, it was $200. Depending on your LT they can be real hard to find too, and with LTs starting at $250 often they just aren't worth replacing.

If you have a desk top computer you can use the monitor from that to get on your LT, back your stuff up, and then get a new one.

Good luck,

The screen has crack lines that makes me think that too much pressure was placed on the lid when the unit was closed. The immage is fine but the lines make it hard to read in the bisecting areas.

Last time I priced a new LT screen, it was $200. Depending on your LT they can be real hard to find too, and with LTs starting at $250 often they just aren't worth replacing.

If you have a desk top computer you can use the monitor from that to get on your LT, back your stuff up, and then get a new one.

:thumbsup: +1

When I was working as a IT Tech at a local middle school where they had a "Laptops for Learning" program, the most common LT failure was when the child closed the LT with a pencil or pen inside...Instant cracked screen, Repair cost was close to $1k (screen and labor). I'm sure it has come down quite a bit since 2001, but reality is that you can replace the whole laptop for close to the cost of replacing the screen. Only other issue is the PITA of reloading programs and data. YMMV.....Good Luck

best place to get a replacement is ebay. we order dozens of screen every month and we always use the same guy. The prices are great, shipping is fast, and if there is any issue they are easy to deal with. pull the screen out of the laptop and get the part number on the back and search for it. replacement is easy and should be a breeze.

here is the sellers store.

http://stores.ebay.com/DVD-Super-One

Just to keep you updated, I bought the exact replacement screen, and LG Philips for $120.00 plus $9.80 shipping on ebay, it should be here by Thursday. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thank you all for the help.

Archived