IGNORED

Geez . . . Now Russia is Handling Tax Refunds!!!

Mike

I just received this e-mail:

After the last annual calculations of your fiscal activity

we have determined that you are eligible to receive

a tax refund under section 501© (3) of the

Internal Revenue Code. Tax refund value is $189.60.

Please submit the tax refund request and allow us 6-9 days

in order to IWP the data received.

If u don't receive your refund within 9 business

days from the original IRS mailing date shown,

you can start a refund trace online.

If you distribute funds to other organization, your records must show wether

they are exempt under section 497 © (15). In cases where the recipient org.

is not exempt under section 497 © (15), you must have evidence the funds will

be used for section 497 © (15) purposes.

If you distribute fund to individuals, you should keep case histories showing

the recipient's name and address; the purpose of the award; the maner of

section; and the realtionship of the recipient to any of your officers, directors,

trustees, members, or major contributors.

To access the form for your tax refund, please click here

This notification has been sent by the Internal Revenue Service,

a bureau of the Department of the Treasury.

Sincerely Yours,

John Stewart

Director, Exempt. Organization

Rulings and Agreements Letter

Internal Revenue Service

Sure, it's less than 200 bucks, but it clearly appears that I overpaid my taxes, and I'd like to get my money back. Unfortunately, I am having problems getting my money . . . maybe it's because the link is to a location in Russia and it's after business hours there. What do you think I should do? Does anyone here have a phone number for Mr. Stewart, the "Director, Exempt. Organization"?

Let me just say this: I'm really disappointed that we're now allowing the Russians to handle tax refunds for us. :mad:

Okay, so I'm totally devoid of the ability to see sarcasm....but doesn't a .ru on ANY e-mail cause you to delete it unread?

Yes, I'm an idjit and have failed to recognize the dry wit...just thought I would demonstrate my geezertude one more time :grin:

Is this for real? Sure it is not a soviet "I want to get your ID" scam?? Hmmmm....never a dull moment in the land of the free and home of the brave.

Nope, no # for Mr. Stewart, comrade!!! :rofl:

Okay, so I'm totally devoid of the ability to see sarcasm....but doesn't a .ru on ANY e-mail cause you to delete it unread?

Yes, I'm an idjit and have failed to recognize the dry wit...just thought I would demonstrate my geezertude one more time :grin:

I found it in my "Junk Email" folder and couldn't resist reading it.

For those who didn't catch my carefully crafted irony, this is an actual phishing scam that's apparently become a big problem. As apparent as this might seem to you or me, these scams apparently work from time to time.

If you know of anyone who might be prone to getting scammed in this way, it's worth having a talk with them. Also, you can notify the authorities by forwarding emails like this to phishing@irs.gov . Apparently they have some success in at least keeping these clowns on the run by getting foreing authorities to shut down the websites.

Archived