IGNORED

Joshua Tree Campout Ride... Help Needed...

Twisties

Thinking of street riding one day during the JT campout. Just looking at the map and could use some help here as I don't know the area at all. Please take a look at these two options for me:

Option One - Big Bear

San Jacinto - Mountain Center

Please offer any opinions... Good ride, not so good? Refinements? Do them both in one day? Good ride means twisties, scenery and not overly congested. Also, any problems with these rides at the end of April?

All help and comments appreciated!

Thanks,

Jan

Jan,

I went to highschool in Lake Arrowhead and Hwy 18 is great. Hwy 38 was dirt when I lived there but that's been 50 years. Just checked and it seems to be paved now and if fact, chains are required. It is quite high (8-9K feet) and the San Bernardino mountains frequently get late (April) snow so could be problematic. You'll need to check the weather prior to going. Otherwise it is a great ride. I'd add the section down to Lake Arrowhead and Crestline and go out the back way to Hesperia then return through Lucerne Valley Valley instead of I-10. Also, the other route includes a favorite road. That is the one up from Palm Desert. It climbs 5K feet on really tight switchbacks. You'll enjoy that. Depending on the bike I take, I may ride these with you.

Jan,

I went to highschool in Lake Arrowhead and Hwy 18 is great. Hwy 38 was dirt when I lived there but that's been 50 years. Just checked and it seems to be paved now and if fact, chains are required. It is quite high (8-9K feet) and the San Bernardino mountains frequently get late (April) snow so could be problematic. You'll need to check the weather prior to going. Otherwise it is a great ride. I'd add the section down to Lake Arrowhead and Crestline and go out the back way to Hesperia then return through Lucerne Valley Valley instead of I-10. Also, the other route includes a favorite road. That is the one up from Palm Desert. It climbs 5K feet on really tight switchbacks. You'll enjoy that. Depending on the bike I take, I may ride these with you.

Let's moto!

Hwy 18 is at my back door. The best loop is up Hwy 18 from Lucerne up to Big Bear then stay on 18 across the Rim of the World, a lunch stop at Lake Arrowhead Village and then down through Lake Gregory on 138 to Lake Silverwood and out to the 15. Another shorter loop would be up 18 from Lucerne and then around Big Bear Lake and back down 18 again. I ride this stuff really often so I can answer any questions.

Gregg,

I went to "Rim of the World High School" in Lake Arrowhead so am familiar with the area also but very "dated". I don't recall Hwy 38 from Big Bear to Yucapa existing when I lived there (at least as a paved road). Have you been on it lately and how is it?

Gregg,

I went to "Rim of the World High School" in Lake Arrowhead so am familiar with the area also but very "dated". I don't recall Hwy 38 from Big Bear to Yucapa existing when I lived there (at least as a paved road). Have you been on it lately and how is it?

My kids went to Rim of the World High School also. But I am not talking about 38 down to Yucaipa, I'm talking about 18 to 138 at Lake Gregory/Crestline down the back side past Lake Silverwood and out to the 15 (the last 7 miles is really good as is the climb up to Fawnskin from Lucerne, both are very tight first gear type twisties!). If you crossed the 15 and kept going West, you would go through Wrightwood and over the Angeles Crest Hwy but of course much of that is closed in the winter and very dangerous anytime on weekends. 138 and the 15 is literally right below my house.

I know about 138. My question was about 38. I haven't been on that road and was wondering how it was.

Oh, I'm sorry I misunderstood. Last time I went that way 38 was a good road and lots of fun. Yes that would make a good loop heading back to the 14 off of the 10 East. I haven't gone that way in a long time. Last time I went down that way there were a lot of roadwork delays. I'll do some checking as to the condition these days. Good suggestion.

I'm going to get over to the Auto Club and get some maps to take to the campground.

Ok, I think this is what Gregg is suggesting, and I've got it linked to the southern loop as well here for about 8 hours of saddle time:

Gregg's San Bernardino Route with a Southern Palm Desert loop tacked on.

Here is a complete route suggestion from a well respected board member familiar with the area:

Route from a board member

This route is about 9 hours of saddle time, but we could knock about 2 hours off that by skipping the run through the park.

Thanks for all the help. I feel good we can work out something great at the time.

Jan

Route #2 looks pretty cool.. :)

MB>

Now that there's actually four total routes posted, I don't know which one you mean. I guess I've created some :S . :grin:

Archived