IGNORED

Tire repair in the boonies

eddd

I'm getting myself equiped to travel the back country on my Yamaha TW200. One of my biggest concerns is being able to repair/replace the tube in the event of a flat. The problem is finding a suitable bead breaker. If you are unfamiliar with the TW200 it has very fat tires. The rear is a 180/80-14. Here is picture of a TW200.

The bead brakers I have found so far are not able to handle the width of the rear tire. (It is right at 7" wide.) The TW200 forum has been of some help, but I thought I see what ideas I can find here.

Brian PDQ Signs

I got one that might go that wide. It's from a Company out of Boise ID, I think they are called Happy Trails, I can't look them up right now but it works pretty slick and packs pretty small. They also make aluminum side boxes for bikes, etc.

Ed, I've read that if you run a bead of WD-40 around the rim, you can break the bead free with your heals. I haven't tried it yet so can't confirm. Otherwise, use the side stand of another bike or even the TW if you can manage it without the wheel.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

It would not be uncommon to find me out in boonies alone, so the kickstand thing can't be my only option. Several posters on various sites have had problems with c-clamps slipping. The wedge tool used to give the bead a good smack looks like it might work, but will require a mallet. Some of the compression/screw types look good, but weight and cost are always issues.

Keep the ideas coming. I'll let you know which tool I settle on.

BTW Brad, the TW will get up and go, but 70 is a bit above it's capacity. However, in the interest of science, I'll flatten the tire and let you have a go at it.

As a preventive measure, check out Ride-On TPS fluid. I use it in my /5 tubes and I noticed no unbalancing effect all the way up to the ton, where my motor seems to peter out...

When I used to run the old MZ to work, I used to carry a can of puncture seal called Holts tyreweld made for cars, used it once to get me home and it worked fine, once home, I replaced the inner tube, tubed tyres seldom need the bead breaking, as they are held on the rim by the tube so are not usualy as tight.

Archived