IGNORED

Newsweek says...

Matts_12GS

We are not nearly a wise enough people to make democracy last..

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largess of the public treasury. From that time on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury, with the results that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship....

The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been two hundred years. These nations have progressed through this sequence: from bondage to spiritual faith; from spiritual faith to great courage; from great courage to liberty; from liberty to abundance; from abundance to selfishness; from selfishness to complacency; from complacency to apathy; from apathy to dependence; from dependency back again to bondage."

Quote by: Sir Alex Fraser Tytler

(1742-1813) Lord Woodhouselee, Scottish jurist, professor and historian

The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been two hundred years. These nations have progressed through this sequence: from bondage to spiritual faith; from spiritual faith to great courage; from great courage to liberty; from liberty to abundance; from abundance to selfishness; from selfishness to complacency; from complacency to apathy; from apathy to dependence; from dependency back again to bondage."

My father used to frequently tell this joke of two politicians...

One asks the other, what are the greatest problems facing the voters today, a lack of knowledge or a lack of empathy for their fellow man?

The second replies, I don't know and I don't give a $h!t...

Archived