IGNORED

R 1200RT on the way -option question

dshogman

It's in a box crossing the country heading for Oregon. I'll get it in few weeks. Question re: an option I've heard mentioned in other websites. What's the "supplemental tool kit?" I have an extensive tool roll that I carry in the Harley (only soft snickers please)so what would I be missing? Full metrics? Would appreciate some experienced advise.

Thanks.

Paul Mihalka

Some metric wrenches, including Allen and Torx wrenches. I'm a bit P.O.d that todays bikes mix allens and torx. It should be either/or. Just in case before somebody asks, Allens are bolt heads with internal flat sided hexagonal openings, Torx are bolt heads with internal opening that is more like a six pointed star. To make it worse, in some spots (R1200GS handlebars) they use external Torx. Almost like the good old times when you had to carry metric, SAE and Whitworth (anybody remembers Whitworth?)

I have been trying to forget Whitworths for a long time now. thanks for reminding me -- just kidding, but it was a pain to have to have three sets of wrenches. I almost turned to adjustable spanners due to it. dopeslap.gif

rusty

I bought the supplimental tool kit for about $70. The main things it adds are some metric open end wrenches and a complete set of Trox drivers. You can see exactly what supplimental kit contains in the owner's manual. Is it worth $70.00? I suppose that you could buy all the same stuff, and perhaps better quality, from Sears for less money.

Brian

P.S. I just sold a lovely set of Snap-On Whitworth open end wrenches for more than I would have thought possible. These were left over from the time, long ago, that I owned a '53 MG TD

Archived