Recommendation on lowering an '02 R1150RT

Dans08

I'm 5'10 with a 32" inseam and have both an OEM seat and a Russel seat. I find that at the best I'm on the balls of my feet when I paddle the bike while seated on it. I'd prefer to be flat footed.

I have the adjustment of the seat on the first step up from the bottom. This is best for my legs.

What are my options for lowering the bike and what would be the best set-up for this. I'm not an aggressive type of rider but I'm not afraid to lean the bike over in the twisties.

Do you guys recommend lowering the bike or would I lose to much in doing so.

Dans08,

I am your height with a 30" inseam and ride the same bike with a Sargent seat. I don't know if it is lower than a stock seat or not. When I first got it, I had the same reaction. It was waaay taller than any bike I had ever ridden and I felt uneasy while stopped. But over time I have become quite comfortable with the R. I make certain I avoid areas where I might have to do much paddling against gravity or on loose surfaces. Also, boots with thicker lugged soles help a lot. Actually, when taking longer road trips, I like the seat up a notch or two to increase the seat-to-footpeg distance a bit for added comfort. So, if you haven't had the bike very long, you might give it some time before investing in a major lowering operation.

Put the seat in lower postion.

Get footpeg lowering kit.

That way you'll have the same (or more) room for your legs and be closer to the ground.

I spent the big bucks on Hyperpro shocks lowered 1" ... Those and a Sargent low seat and I can flat foot the bike. I have a 30" inseam. I ride fairly agressively and have adequate ground clearance.

While I can ride a taller bike, I do lots of 2-up on the RT and the security of being able to flat fot the bike with by bride on the back is worth the money.

Well a cheap way to get more feet on the ground is to trim the stock seat. Remove the seat, pull the staples, Pull the front vinyl back and take a bread knife or an electric carving knife to the foam on the front sides of the seat. Just the sides and take the foam down close to the ridges in the hard plastic leaving about 1/2 inch. Taper everything back up to the original thickness at the top of the seat. Pull the vinyl back tight and staple it back on. When you pull to a stop, slide forward and put your feet fully on the ground (YRMV)! It is amazing how doing this helps.

Whoops left out the other part!. Take a look under the seat and you will see some rubber bumpers. Trim those down to lower seat more. Don't forget there is some adjustment built into the seat from the factory too! This is a good time to get rid of the forward slant to the seat built in by the factory too. If you cut too much off the bumpers your seat will be looser on the bike but won't come off. While you have your vinyl cover off you make want to make a groove in the foam for your tailbone too. Helped me immensely on long rides.

Whoops left out the other part!. Take a look under the seat and you will see some rubber bumpers. Trim those down to lower seat more. Don't forget there is some adjustment built into the seat from the factory too! This is a good time to get rid of the forward slant to the seat built in by the factory too. If you cut too much off the bumpers your seat will be looser on the bike but won't come off. While you have your vinyl cover off you make want to make a groove in the foam for your tailbone too. Helped me immensely on long rides.

Cutting down the seat is not a bad idea. I reworked the foam in a GoldWing seat once and that came out good although it raised me up a good 1/2.

I spent the big bucks on Hyperpro shocks lowered 1" ... Those and a Sargent low seat and I can flat foot the bike. I have a 30" inseam. I ride fairly agressively and have adequate ground clearance.

While I can ride a taller bike, I do lots of 2-up on the RT and the security of being able to flat fot the bike with by bride on the back is worth the money.

Are you satisfied with the ride know that you have the Hyperpo shocks on? I'll have to check out the Hyperpro shocks.

Can shocks be shortened after the fact? My R1100RT came with Ohlins. I've managed for the past year without tipping, but I'm far from flat-footed at stops.

Archived