IGNORED

My name is not Earl

psmitty

Let me introduce myself… Paul Smith: I am a husband, father of 9, grandfather and teacher. In my spare time I’m riding, planning a ride or thinking about riding.

I started riding motorcycles when I was younger and then stopped. Don’t know quite why. My wife started talking about getting a bike to commute to work. While we were there, I found one for me. She never did get hers, but I have been having a ball!

I bought a KLR650. I put on 12,000 miles in the first six months leading up to my summer vacation. I rode that bike on every road, dirt or paved. It has been my tradition, at the beginning of every summer vacation to take my watch off the last day of school and don’t worry about the time or what day it is until August arrives. My entire summer is focused on RIDING and spending time with the family.

In 2003, I was riding mainly on paved roads and wanted to have something more for street, didn’t cost much, and would take my wife and me on tours throughout the country. She goes with me although a lot less now than when I had my 2003 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100. With its shaft drive and hydraulic lifters it was basically maintenance free riding. Just change the oil at every 3,000 miles and ride forever on that bike. I rode that bike all over the country for the four years.

Then came the BMW. I wanted a real long distance bike with a full fairing, good horse power, large fuel tank, be able to ride two up easily, and can handle all my electrical needs. (I read that in a magazine.) I bought the bike over the phone … a 2007 1200RT from A&S in Roseville, CA. My RT has made it possible for me to ride a lot of miles in a day without beating my body up. Proof of that is the 1,542 mile day (24 hours) from Red Bluff, CA to Mt. Rushmore, SD. It’s documented with IBA.

I want to thank all of you for making this a fun experience here at the forum and at DVD. I can’t wait to meet up with the DVD crowd and make more friends at Spring Torrey. I love to ride, but it is usually by myself ‘cuz my wife doesn’t like the long miles … and somebody has to stay home and take care of the dogs and kids. This forum has provided me with a place to ask questions, share my thoughts, and make new friends. Thanks!

:wave:

Your welcome, and appear to suffer from the same afliction as myself. My wife is not a huge fan of long milage either, but she has her own bike now and is starting to want to go farther along with commuting to work when the weather allows. We did not make it to DVD due to me being very ill, but when my work allows and she is on break from school we'll be around, and look forward to meeting more of the group.

Your welcome, and appear to suffer from the same afliction as myself. My wife is not a huge fan of long milage either, but she has her own bike now and is starting to want to go farther along with commuting to work when the weather allows. We did not make it to DVD due to me being very ill, but when my work allows and she is on break from school we'll be around, and look forward to meeting more of the group.

I am sorry to hear your not feeling well. Hope to see you some day. Maybe Torrey. I see you live in Vegas. I'll be in there the third week in July. Maybe go for a ride?

Archived