IGNORED

R1200 3.0 Final Whats the story?

hopz

Was just reading through the BMW ON magazine and spied the nice ad for Max BMW 3.0 final drive.

Does the notation R1200 imply this new final works on all R1200s, e.g. R1200RT?

Their ad says see the website for details but all I find is info on hopping up an HP2.

Can you just put in a new final on an otherwise stock R1200RT?

Presumably this lowers the way too tall first and other gears.

Assume it reduces top end in favor of moving the usable RPM range down.

Is the part generally available or is it a MAX BMW only?

If you have a final drive failure can this part be installed to fix the damage?

etc.

Was just reading through the BMW ON magazine and spied the nice ad for Max BMW 3.0 final drive.

Does the notation R1200 imply this new final works on all R1200s, e.g. R1200RT?

Yes, it should work on any R1200 bike

Can you just put in a new final on an otherwise stock R1200RT?

Yes, you can

I don't find the stock ratios to be a problem, but yes the overall gearing would be lower.

Yes

Is the part generally available or is it a MAX BMW only?

Likely, the parts can be ordered by any dealer if the part numbers are known. Max may be bringing these in from Germany directly vs. ordering from BMW NA.

If you have a final drive failure can this part be installed to fix the damage?

Usually, the bearings or seals fail and not the gears themselves, The extent of damage during a final drive failure must be determined by a tear down of the drive. Sometimes the gears are damaged which would make a complete final drive assy. more cost effective.

It would be interesting to read about the performance differences with the 3.0 final drive gearing.

I really have liked the BMW parade 1st gear...It works for me.

And as far as the top end, I like that as well. It's all about the top end on a BMW as far as I'm concerned.. :thumbsup:

These characteristics I have always liked. Not many other manufacturers have them. Ask a motor officer, he'll tell ya. At least the one's I've talked to here.

MB>

Don't forget the expected reduction in fuel economy on the highway.

Jay

There was a thread here a while back where some R12RT owners claimed to get as good or better fuel economy using 5th instead of 6th in some situations.

Don't forget the expected reduction in fuel economy on the highway.

Jay

There was a thread here a while back where some R12RT owners claimed to get as good or better fuel economy using 5th instead of 6th in some situations.

I remember that, now that you mention it. I hope whoever does such an upgrade reports back on this issue. I too have wished that 1st gear were lower, but if there were more than a 1-2 mpg drop on trips, then the benefits would not be worth it for me.

Jay

Here is what Max, of Max BMW, has to say about the 3.0 final drive:

Hi spencer,

Can't believe all the interest in the final drive upgrade. I have been using the 3.0 in our race bikes for the last year and it's a big help. The 3.0 drives that I have are for race only. No speedo or abs. The tooth count is wrong for the sensor. I have some 3.0 rear drives being built with the proper tooth count. (About a month away). For street use I would recommend using a 2.9 so you won't loose so much top speed.

I will be back next week and test the odometer with the new drive. Thank you for your interest. Sign up for our e rider so you can stay updated on our race this weekend.

Thank you

Max

Archived