IGNORED

Persistent oil leak at filler pipe

ElevenFifty

I've replaced the o-rings and it got a little better, but still leaking. I've order the entire assembly - pipe, cap and new o-rings. I've always been a little amazed that this whole assembly looks to be just pressed into place with no positive locking mechanism to afix the pipe into the valve cover.

Am I missing something here?

Is there a 'best' way to insert these plastic parts?

Has anyone come up with a reasonable alternative (though it didn't leak a drop for 80K so I probably shouldn't complain)?

Thanks as always -

David Hunt ;~)

I had a similar issue. You just need to ensure that it is evenly pressed into the hole. The second time (besides cleaning out the hole), I lightly smeared the o'ring with oil and then used a screwdriver handle to press the assembly down evenly the second time and, thereafter, never had a problem

Mark,

I assume you installed this? How is the bottom (female) piece different than stock? That's where the leaks occur. I'd buy this if it reallly works, but I don't see how its different from stock by looking at the picture.

Even better, lube the "O" ring with silicone grease. Lubing with oil can let oil creep past the ring, where using a dissimilar lube will stop the wicking. Good Luck!

Yes I bought it cause I had the same issue. It replaces the insert and is locked in with a couple of set screws and the cap is metal instead of the cheap plastic. Cap screws in for a much tighter fit, no leakage and it is also somewhat of preventive of someone tampering with your oil filler.

I've replaced the o-rings and it got a little better, but still leaking. I've order the entire assembly - pipe, cap and new o-rings. I've always been a little amazed that this whole assembly looks to be just pressed into place with no positive locking mechanism to afix the pipe into the valve cover.

Am I missing something here?

Is there a 'best' way to insert these plastic parts?

Has anyone come up with a reasonable alternative (though it didn't leak a drop for 80K so I probably shouldn't complain)?

Thanks as always -

David Hunt ;~)

Are you talking about the Oil filler cap?

If so, you could get a slightly chunkier O ring. I am not sure what cross section size it is, but for instance, if the stock item is 5.33mm you could go to say a 6mm item.

Andy

Archived