IGNORED

DVD Story Tellin'

southerncarider

southerncarider

Gentlemen, I had a wonderful time at this years DVD gathering. Rode the highways with new friends going to the event, rode alone headed back. Riding home on Saturday it seemed I was riding one up. Twenty miles or so beyond Stove Pipe Wells just getting into the twisties I met with misfortune. Coming into a curve cutting my radius down from outside to inside approach I found a rock slid in the middle of the curve. Shifting my weight picking my spot to avoid the larger rocks and ran out of blacktop.

My beloved R1100RT left the blacktop hitting the gravel shoulder with me holding on for dear life. I managed to hold on and stay upright until I got to a lower speed, then the RT and I parted company. Once I quit rolling I got to my feet, I was pretty much alright. I owe this to wearing good quality Personal Protective Equipment, and discovering I was riding two up.

I could've ran off a cliff, or had and oncoming car in my mistaken path. Both didn't happen which was most fortunate for me. My RT didn't fare as well, system bags all but gone, top case as well. Fairings still on the machine and intact but I bad shape. The front fairing was pushed back into the top portion of the forks and I could only move the forks to the left.

With all my strength,I managed to get the bike off the ground and upright. I removed all the rocks off the roadway, then proceeded to pickup all my belongings and strap them all on my bike. Much to my amazement the RT started right up. I started back on my journey for home. I only had around 180 miles remaining for reaching that destination.

I started off at slow speed, then bike was running fine but handling was difficult. I limited movement to steering a low speeds and wasn't a problem at higher speeds. I picked up the pace like all beemer riders would and make it to Hwy 395. Now that I'm on a well traveled highway I was getting allot of funny looks by passersby.

Front fairing shoved to one side, no head light, no mirrors, and system bags strapped to the back seat what in the world could these people be looking at? The bike was running very good so I picked up the speed to around 70, wanting to get home and fill a claim.

I made it home and the wife was very supportive once she found out I was on the better part of alright. The lovely lady is even in support of me getting another BMW. That's right you heard it, when I hauled my machine down to the dealer I purchased it from and had the estimate of repairs make. The gave me a work order for $ 10.900.00.

I've since turned that in to my insurance, they in turn came back with a will TOTAL IT and give you Fare Market Value for it. I haven't heard as of yet what the amount is going to be. I'm hopeful it will be enough to pay off my existing loan and have enough funds left for a down payment on another wonderful machine

I like riding with beemer riders, and wish to continue. I hope to have a beemer soon and be riding once again.

------------------

Robert Opal Blue 2K RT

quote:

Originally posted by southerncarider:

Twenty miles or so beyond Stove Pipe Wells just getting into the twisties I met with misfortune.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. What a bummer to end a good weekend on. It could've happened to any of us with all the dirt and rocks on those death valley roadways. It's nice to hear the Bavarian Iron could still bring you home after all that. It's final act a noble one.

------------------

BrianT

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." --George Orwell

Well, shoot. I was hoping we wouldn't get to read one of these posts after that great gathering.

But partner, I sure am glad you ride "Two Up!" Sorry that you went through this alone, but what a relief you're OK (or as you so aptly put it, "on the better part of alright."

Robert, I'm looking forward to more evenings like we shared at Furnace Creek. You take good care, and we'll see you on the road.

Tool

------------------

Happy trails to you, 'til we meet in Gunnison!

Denny

98 R1100RT

Y2K K1200RS

southerncarider

Brian T, and D Tool thank you very much for your response to my posting. Never count a beemer rider down and out. I have plans in the works to get myself another beemer, or the funds to get the one I had restored to perfection. The beemer riders are the best on the road, and I look forward to riding with you or meeting you all once again at future events.

------------------

Robert Opal Blue 2K RT

[This message has been edited by southerncarider (edited 02-03-2002).]

Sorry to hear about your fall, Robert. But, I'm glad to hear you'll be among us again soon. It was great spending time with you in DV, and I look forward to more of the same.

• 3 weeks later...
AdventurePoser

Hi Robert,

Just looking at some of these old reports (at least they are old to me, since I haven't been on the computer much) and I saw the account of your crash.

I'm very glad you are ok, and I hope you are back on a new RT very soon.

Cheers,

Steve

------------------

"Keep your words soft and tender. One day you may have to eat them."

• ccolson changed the title to When In doubt ... LET IT FLY
  • ccolson pinned this topic

Archived