IGNORED

Nice roads in NE New York to get to the UN?

Paul Mihalka

My idea is to leave home Sunday am and stop for the night around Binghamton NY after some very nice roads that I know. From there to the UN on Monday, could be about a 400 mile backroads day. Would love to read suggestions what roads to take. Thanks!

Don't forget our invite in the Adirondacks! Let us know if you decide to come that way!

Thanks, but you are too close to Lancaster for a day's ride :grin: . You leave on Sunday and I'll be through the Adirondacks on Monday. Thank you for the offer, and see you there.

Paul give Art a shout. He lives in the Catskills about 50 miles from Binghamton. Debbie and I will be stopping a few miles from him and he promised me some good roads to the Un.

Alan

Paul- If you want on Monday, you can meet me if your passing my way in Troy (about 130 mi up and over). I ride rt 10 and rt 7 to a Chromehead function every year to Binghamton, very nice back roads. The Super 8 in Binghamton is where us Chromies stay. Reasonable $50. something rate and nice. There are no bad roads in VT. from Troy! Let me know, Some UNers (Bob Foley and crew) that are coming up on the Auto train from Fla. are going to meet me for the ride up. You of course are welcome too.

Let me know

Bob

I'm kind of looking to ride up a bit North toward Lake Placid and then cross over to Vermont. I've been a few times in Vermont and rode Rt. 7 and rt. 100 and the cross-over roads between 7 and 100. Nice but I'm looking for something different.

Paul, I have a route on Mapsource that you may like, problem being I don't know how to send it. NY rt28-rt30-rt86 Stop in Wilmington & check out Whiteface Mountain. Make your way over to Essex & hop the ferry across Champlain. VT rt7s-rt17-rt100n-rt108-rt15e-rt2e into Lancaster.

Pat

Paul, I have a route on Mapsource that you may like, problem being I don't know how to send it. NY rt28-rt30-rt86 Stop in Wilmington & check out Whiteface Mountain. Make your way over to Essex & hop the ferry across Champlain. VT rt7s-rt17-rt100n-rt108-rt15e-rt2e into Lancaster.

Pat

Thanks, looks great! Good part is that if it gets late (took too many pictures?) there are shortcuts to Lancaster.

Paul, I have a route on Mapsource that you may like, problem being I don't know how to send it. NY rt28-rt30-rt86 Stop in Wilmington & check out Whiteface Mountain. Make your way over to Essex & hop the ferry across Champlain. VT rt7s-rt17-rt100n-rt108-rt15e-rt2e into Lancaster.Pat

That will be a nice ride for sure!

Paul, have you ridden Rt 30? From Binghamton, that would be my #1 choice to get through the Cats and up to the area around Gloversville. Pick it up in East Branch NY, off of Rt 17 (4 lane but a nice ride) Rt 30 rides along the Pepacton Reservoir, and there is a multitude of 180 degree sweeping turns. Once north of Margaretville, it follows the pastureland between the mountains. For a short time, you will have to endure some local traffic in Amsterdam, but it won't be too bad. Then, just north of Sacandaga, I would pick up Rt 8 towards Chestertown. Ride that all the way to Hague ( past Brant Lake, lots of nice twists and views) and turn left on Rt 9N. You will have Lake George on your right for a while until you reach Ticonderoga.

From there, you can take the Ticonderoga Ferry and take either 73 (Brandon Gap) or 125 (Middlebury Gap) or 17 (App Gap).

Or, take 22 north out of Ti and cross Champlain at Crown Point.

No offense to anyone else's ride, but I personally find the 28 - 30 - 73 route kind of boring.

• 2 weeks later...

Paul From Binghamton... a must ride is Rt 26 north. It is a beautifully valley run with some tight curves but mostly sweepers and straights through farm country. One of my very favorite rides and I live in central upstate NY. You have 2 options in my opinion to Lake Placid.

They are:

Option 1 - take Rt 11 north to Whitney point. Stay on Rt 26 north all the way to Rt 20 (about 80 miles). Take Rt 20 east to Rt 12B north to Rt 12 north to Rt 8 north to Speculator (eat at Speculator Inn). Rt 30 north to Rt 3 in Saranac Lake. Rt 73 to Lake Placid. (LP is very expensive for lodging so you might try Saranac Lk)

Option 2: take Rt 11 north to Whitney point. Stay on Rt 26 north through the small city of Rome ( about 110 miles). Continue north on 26 to Lowville. Take Rt 812 north out of Lowville to Rt 3 east to Saranac Lake.

Op 1 takes you through the Adirondacks and Op 2 through the rural parts of NY State and the northern part of the 'dacks. Good Luck. Let me know and perhaps I'll meet up w/ you at Rt 20. I live about 10 miles east of 26 & 20 on Rt 20.

• 2 weeks later...
Mark Menard (Vita Rara)

If you get anywhere near Troy you're MORE THAN welcome to stop for a night or food, or to pick me up!

Mark

If you get anywhere near Troy you're MORE THAN welcome to stop for a night or food, or to pick me up!

Mark

And you could ride over Mt Greylock! :)

Archived