IGNORED

Extended Warranties

New1200RTRider

New1200RTRider

I have a 05 1200 RT purchased in 06 new and the factory warranty expires at the end of this month.

I know this has been hashed out here before but was wondering if most people are purchasing the extended warranty.

Thanks

Hope you have better luck than I had !! I have a 05 RT and two months before the warranty expired I contacted the main dealer where I bought the bike and enquired about extending the warranty. For some reason a warranty extension wasn,t available here in Ireland at the time. My warranty expired end of December 07 and in the second week of January 08 the warranty cover was extended to cover Ireland. I rang the dealer and tried to extend my warranty to be told my warranty had expired end of December and could not be extended !! It was on their system that I had enquired about the warranty but they said the cover wouldn,t be extended. The bike was bought from that dealer and serviced by them. It has low mileage and according to B.M.W. I met all the requirements to "qualify" for extended warranty, except for a two week lapse in warranty cover. I have been riding B.M.W.'s for years but at this stage thing my next bike will be Japanese.

I cannot tell you if "most" people are purchasing them or not, but I did not. I think that I'll be money ahead by fixing any problems myself rather than gamble that the cost of possible repairs will exceed the certain cost of the warranty. So far I have spent $0.00 for repairs on my 48K mile RT.

Remember that the cost of a "high dollar" repair can be significantly lower if you do it yourself and especially with the use of used parts. Also, don't assume that any and all repairs will be cheefully and readily covered by an extended warranty.

There is no definite right answer here. It depends upon how many miles you ride, how hard you are on the bike, whether or not yours is a good "example", how long you intend to keep it, your mechanical ability, your risk tolerance, your ability to pay for an unexpected repair out of savings, how much the warranty costs, and the integrity of the company who supports it. Weigh all these factors and make the call.

Good luck,

Jay

My dealer was having a winter special and I landed 4 years for just over $1000.

Also, remember an added benefit to the warranty in addition to allowing you to sleep at night is it makes it easier to sell the bike should you do so before the warranty period is up. Just a thought as it has helped me sell my last 2 BMW's !

Hope you have better luck than I had !! I have a 05 RT and two months before the warranty expired I contacted the main dealer where I bought the bike and enquired about extending the warranty. For some reason a warranty extension wasn,t available here in Ireland at the time. My warranty expired end of December 07 and in the second week of January 08 the warranty cover was extended to cover Ireland. I rang the dealer and tried to extend my warranty to be told my warranty had expired end of December and could not be extended !! It was on their system that I had enquired about the warranty but they said the cover wouldn,t be extended. The bike was bought from that dealer and serviced by them. It has low mileage and according to B.M.W. I met all the requirements to "qualify" for extended warranty, except for a two week lapse in warranty cover. I have been riding B.M.W.'s for years but at this stage thing my next bike will be Japanese.

Warranty Direct operates in the UK for extended warranties for your bike. Just purchased an extended warranty for my R1200RT (2006) - Cheaper than BMW. Don't know if they'll cover Ireland! They will let you take out a policy even if your warranty has expired.

I cannot tell you if "most" people are purchasing them or not, but I did not. I think that I'll be money ahead by fixing any problems myself rather than gamble that the cost of possible repairs will exceed the certain cost of the warranty. So far I have spent $0.00 for repairs on my 48K mile RT.

Remember that the cost of a "high dollar" repair can be significantly lower if you do it yourself and especially with the use of used parts. Also, don't assume that any and all repairs will be cheefully and readily covered by an extended warranty.

There is no definite right answer here. It depends upon how many miles you ride, how hard you are on the bike, whether or not yours is a good "example", how long you intend to keep it, your mechanical ability, your risk tolerance, your ability to pay for an unexpected repair out of savings, how much the warranty costs, and the integrity of the company who supports it. Weigh all these factors and make the call.

Good luck,

Jay

As they say, YMMV but I purchased an extended warranty for my 07 RT. I've got 48K miles on it now and the extended warranty has almost paid for itself already.

I consider it very inexpensive insurance. I bought my extended warranty from BMW of Atlanta. It was $1150 for a 4 year unlimited mileage warranty. I plan on keeping my '05 RT and run her at least up to 100,000 miles, so the peace of mind is worth it to me.

I consider it very inexpensive insurance. . . . the peace of mind is worth it to me.

+1

I have a Pinnacle warranty - 4 years - unlimited milage.

Archived