IGNORED

Google Latitude

WestTX RT

I've been using Google Maps on my Blackjack I for quite a while now, but apparently the latest version adds Latitude as an option on your phone.

It looks like a poor man's Spot locator. It might not be bad when you're on a trip.

Any of you early adopters tried it out yet?

It looks like a poor man's Spot locator.

Not quite a SPOT locator since SPOT's main claim to fame is that is that both transmission paths are via satellite, thus it does not depend on being within range of cellular coverage to work. Nor can Latitude obtain emergency assistance through a monitoring center. But if your aim is for non-emergency use such as to let others follow your trip, looks like it might be good for that, and can't beat the price.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

You might also want to look at FireEagle (.com) I'm pretty sure it only keeps your most recent position though.

After playing with it some today, it spotted me within 2300 to 3900 meters, not exactly spot on. But that might come in hand if you are at Sancha's . I wonder if that's just the locale of the tower you are in?

After playing with it some today, it spotted me within 2300 to 3900 meters, not exactly spot on. But that might come in hand if you are at Sancha's . I wonder if that's just the locale of the tower you are in?

My Tilt/Kaiser is usually 1/2 mile off when relying on the cell towers. Spot on if you tell it to use the GPS.

Archived