IGNORED

New Wheel!

Slumgullion

I am 10 days into a right total knee replacement; my first one and I am wondering how soon I can expect to get back on 2 wheels. I am currently on 2 canes and just about to get rid of one of them today. The staples come out next week; so much for bling! I suspect I am not the first person on this board to undergo this procedure and am soliciting your advice and experience. I'm looking forward to your responses; I've got nothing else to do!

My wife had one 3 years ago in late January. By the end of March she was riding her MC, playing golf, and by December she was back on skis.

The key was rehab. Do what they say!

I was nice to play golf with her (we carry) and see by the 2nd hole she did not walk like Festus!

End of last ski season, she was back to her "hauling the mail" and a lot more confident with the different feeling of the new knee.

Good luck!

Nice n Easy Rider
My wife had one 3 years ago in late January. By the end of March she was riding her MC, playing golf, and by December she was back on skis.

The key was rehab. Do what they say!

I was nice to play golf with her (we carry) and see by the 2nd hole she did not walk like Festus!

End of last ski season, she was back to her "hauling the mail" and a lot more confident with the different feeling of the new knee.

Good luck!

+1 on the rehab. I've had my left knee replacement going on 5 years now. Even after they release you from the formal rehab program it's important to keep up the exercises. The stronger the muscles are the less strain on the knee joint. Also, if you could use to lose any weight it's good to work on that as well since all the weight above the knees is being supported by two fairly small areas.

Thanks for the encouragement! Range of motion is what I'm focusing on; I ride a R1200S so I need to be able to bend. I am not a novice at rehab having rotator cuff surgery 3 years ago. I usually see rehab as a competition me vs the therapists! I'm hoping I get back riding in 6 to 8 weeks.

I had a total about 15 years ago. I literally did some sort of rehab about 12 hours per day. It was a big part of why I recovered quickly. The replacement procedure is so much more advanced now that people seem to recover much quicker.

If they didn't explain it, the range of motion, flextion in this case, is critical to allow you to get up from a seated position. I found bicycle riding to be a great rehab tool. Gives you strength, range of motion, nice fluid motion, and it gets you out of the house.

I ride bicycle for conditioning or did before the knee said no more and I sure am looking forward to getting back to it. My Father in law had one replaced 15 years ago and he said the same thing. Thanks for the encouragement! I read your post to my wife and she caught 'hiking' something that has become a distant memory.

Lone_RT_rider
Thanks for the encouragement! Range of motion is what I'm focusing on; I ride a R1200S so I need to be able to bend.

well, my knees are the reason I gave up my R1100S, but I wish you the best of luck my friend!

I am not a novice at rehab having rotator cuff surgery 3 years ago. I usually see rehab as a competition me vs the therapists! I'm hoping I get back riding in 6 to 8 weeks.

So we will see you at BRR?? :)

Shawn

Archived