IGNORED

Looking for shock swaping instructions R1200ST

brianbmw

I'm putting ohlins on my R1200ST and was wondering if anyone has any advise with the installation. I have the plastic off my bike so that's out of the way. The rear seems very easy to get at so i'm not really worried about that one, but i assume there are a few tricks to getting at the front one.

Also what are the torque specs for the shock bolts?

Thanks,

Brian

Brian,

Go to the website www.ohlinsusa.com, click on the motorcycle link in the main menu, then click on the motorcycle products link. Enter in your bike and it will take you to a window with recomended shocks for your bike that includes a link to the mounting instructions.

Thanks guys, i have Jims DVD. I'm sure the RT GS and ST are similar enough that i will be able to get it done using those instructions as a guide line.

Brian

This is for a GS but similar to an RT. Jim rocks for pictorial explanations:

These are close enough for a 12ST install if you are mechanical. Good write up.

I just breezed through JVB's write up and I will make one critical exception to his very well done/detailed procedure: a heat gun is highly desireable/critical to removing both lower bolts. I did my front shock first and thought I had it hot enough but the bolt still sqeeled like it was galled getting it out. I let the heat gun work for quite a bit longer on the rear and it came out quite a bit easier.

When my mech. installed the front ohlins on my ST. He had to screw the shock through the hole in the a-arm due to the diameter of the ohlins spring. other than that. it was a snap.

Once your shocks are installed. you will be amazed at the diff. in how your bike handles. My second seater even noticed how much less harsh the ride was. Mid corner bumps did not faze the bike at all.

have fun and good luck

Jerry

New resident of Walla Walla WA.

The rear one is done, i'll start the front tomorrow. It looks like i can get at the top bolt without moving the tank back. Maybe it's because i have an ST.

The rear one is done, i'll start the front tomorrow. It looks like i can get at the top bolt without moving the tank back. Maybe it's because i have an ST.

Nope, the R12RT is the same. Don't forget to loosen the front brake line before lowering the front wheel.

How did you tourque the nut on the top of the front fork? I can't get a socket on it with the allen wrench in it. I was thinking maybe i could just tighten it as much as i can with a regular wrench while holding the allen wrench to keep the shock from spinning, then when it's close i could pull the allen wrench out and tourque it the rest of the way with a socket and tourque wrench. I'm not sure if this will work, or if the shock will just rotate when i am trying to tourque it down.

Brian

Yes, I believe the ST is unique in the tank clearance. Still, watch the top nut doesn't drop down. I had to search for a fair amount of time before I found it in the nest.

I got the front one done, wow that was a little bit of a pain. Even with the front brake line bracket undone it was still a tight fit, the ohlins are so much bigger diameter. Now my only question is how do you toruqe that top nut. It starts to spin the entire shaft and on the ohlin it has two small flats to grab onto with another wrench, but that's kind of hard to do. Plus i'm not sure what 34nm feels like with a wrench.

Brian

Ya a crowfoot wrench would probably work, the ohlins don't have the allen head feature on the top of the shock, but there are 2 flats on it so i can probably use a small wrench on that.

Archived