IGNORED

Problem with audio cable plug, 2006 R1200RT

Deek

My 1200RT has the OEM GPS Nav III. I also have the OEM J&M/BMW CB radio unit with its "aux" position. I can plug an MP3 player into the J&M system and listen to it through my helmet speakers. Audio goes through the audio connector plug on the rear portion of left side fairing which is right next to my left knee. This connector takes a J&M audio plug and cable.

The audio in my helmet was stereo and sounded fine until a few weeks ago, then I started loosing the left channel music. Right channel audio is fine. If I wiggle the plug in the connector on the fairing I can get intermittent left channel audio, and the right channel never goes intermittent. I suspect a loose wire or something, probably in the fairing somewhere. I am pretty sure the problem is not in the audio cable.

Anyone have a similar problem? The is under warranty so it's going to the shop when I get the time, but I'm curious if this is a common problem?

If wiggling the plug gets some change in the condition I would say your problem is right there. Just need to figure out if it is the male or female end of the connection. I had almost the exact same problem, different brand, it turned out to be the cable. Which is good since it's the easiest and cheapest to fix.

If wiggling the plug gets some change in the condition I would say your problem is right there. Just need to figure out if it is the male or female end of the connection. I had almost the exact same problem, different brand, it turned out to be the cable. Which is good since it's the easiest and cheapest to fix.

I agree, it must be the connection or the cable. I'm hoping that it's the connection since it's under warranty and a new cable would be about $60! :eek:

Oddly enough, it is the lower cable, not the connector that is bad. A trip to the dealer and the use of their "test cord" proved that.

A new cable is $60, but at least I won't have to leave the bike at the dealers for who knows how long getting the connector replaced.

Archived