IGNORED

50 years ago today.

Whip

I have visted the crash site in Iowa on a couple of long distance rallys. There is a very nice memorial there. This LINK shows the crashed Beechcraft. There are now corn fields on both sides of the fence line.

I was on the ramp at our local air field on Sunday while my partner gave a few kids rides (I had a cold), so I talked with the parents while the kids flew. I pointed out a Bonanza on the ramp and commented it was the type aircraft Buddy Holley was killed in. I had no idea the date of the crash was so close. That ice will get you!!

I fly an A36 on a fairly regular basis and they are an absolute joy to fly, but those V-tails are particularly unforgiving for adverse CG and ice conditions.

rIGHT uP the road from me...Surf Ballroom was/is still the cats meow.

Joe Bonamassa played there a bit ago...freekin' great show.!

Whipster,

Next time you come out this way, let me know and we'll go over here:

http://www.buddyhollycenter.org/

and we'll go take a tour. I haven't been over there in a while, I'm sure they've changed things around.

Buddy's brother is still around here. He's an old dual sport rider.

The local news stations hung around the cemetary and talked to folks who came to the gravesite. Story Here

Apparently, it's a good luck tradition for musicians to leave a guitar pick on the headstone.

I always understood the song, in a fuzzy sort of general way, to represent the passing of an era, a coming of age if you will in which we passed from the 50's into the turbulent 60's.

To me that's what "Bye bye Miss American Pie" meant, the end of the apple pie era. Randy's video is so much more complex than I ever imagined, though it seems in many cases likely right on.

Fascinating.

Whipster,

Next time you come out this way, let me know and we'll go over here:

http://www.buddyhollycenter.org/

and we'll go take a tour. I haven't been over there in a while, I'm sure they've changed things around.

Buddy's brother is still around here. He's an old dual sport rider.

The local news stations hung around the cemetary and talked to folks who came to the gravesite. Story Here

Apparently, it's a good luck tradition for musicians to leave a guitar pick on the headstone.

Thanks for the invite.

I'd like that.

Whip

Archived