IGNORED

Ground hog day--how do you know?

Quinn

How do you know if you've had six more weeks of Winter or not? In my area, there's usually a few days of warmer weather in February (yesterday and today in the low 60's) alternating with weeks of cold (in the 20's and 30's with maybe ice and snow). It doesn't completely end until "Blackberry Winter" which is a final frost after the azaleas bloom.

My point, if I even have one, is that no matter what the groundhog says, I've never noticed a difference in the rest of the Winter. So how did this all get started?

I dunno. I got married the first time on Ground Hog's Day, 2/2/73, so had it lasted today would have been 36 years of living hell. Fortunately, she's living in Montana with her wealthy, but eunuch husband #2, terrorizing the societal fabric of Bozeman with his money, her psychotic delusions and her malicious vendettas (her sister and I are still friends, so I hear some incredible stuff). And yeah, I do feel sorry for her.

As for Punxatawney Phil, 3000 people showed up to see him, so obviously things got boring real quick after that Super Bowl win.

The Groundhog Day festivities in Punxatawney are great fun. Where else can you go in early February for all you can eat pancakes & all you can drink beer at 7am?

Its been a quite few years since we made the trek. I think last time we did it was around 5 degrees out.

...It doesn't completely end until "Blackberry Winter" which is a final frost after the azaleas bloom.

My point, if I even have one, is that no matter what the groundhog says, I've never noticed a difference in the rest of the Winter. So how did this all get started?

Ah...the azaleas. How I miss those. The Azalea Festival and Parade at Carolina Beach was an annual trek from school. No where near a 'Rose Bowl Parade' but for the tiny town of Carolina Beach it was a reason to celebrate the return of spring.

As for this groundhog, it gives the obnoxious weatherman (like Willard Scott) something to talk about. It's complete nonsense.

Mike O

Groundhog day, February 2nd.

Winter ends, March 20th.

Hmmm...

wild guess, we'll have 6 more weeks of winter. :dopeslap:

Did you hear the one about....

the three morons who were trying to get into heaven? St. Peter tests their knowledge and asks any of them to tell him about Easter. The first moron says "Yeah, the holiday in summer where they fire off all of those fireworks." "No!" says St. Peter, that is the Fourth of July." Second moron says, "No, no, it is the winter holiday where you get together around that tree decorated so nicely with presents underneath it." "No!" says St. Peter, "that is Christmas, but you are getting closer." The third moron excitedly says, "I've got it. It's the day in Spring celebrating that Jew that was so unpopular that the nailed him on a cross." "Yes, you are getting it. Go on," says Peter. Moron #3 continues, "so they place his dead body in a cave...." "Yeah, yeah" Peter is hopeful. "...and put a boulder at the mouth of the cave and once a year, when Jesus moves the boulder and looks down, if he sees his shadow......."

Archived