IGNORED

I finished my coffee table.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

In 2003, I built a futon-couch; it took me about three months.

In 2004, I built a platform bed; it took me about six months.

About a week ago, I finished a coffee table I had been working on for over a year. It looks sort of like this:

465949961_4Gw3A-M.jpg

If you want to see how I put it all together, I've put together a pair of web pages with lots of pictures and explanation of what it all means.

Extrapolating from these last three projects, it stands to reason that my next project will likely take two years.

Nice work, on the table and the write-up! :thumbsup:

Each time I indulge my delusion of making furniture in my next career I am reminded that if I charged anything for my time, only Bill Gates and Warren Buffet could afford whatever I produced. I still like making sawdust anyway.

John Ranalletta

Very nice, Mitch. As an amateur sawdust maker, I envy your precision and patience.

I also like that it appears strong enough that it can double as a loading ramp for the bike if you buy a pickup. :grin:

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Very nice. You didn't happen to make two did you?

You are an inspiration to anyone who like to make things.

AND, here are a few comments from your write up that strike me as very Mitch:

So before I started, I had to build an assembly table

Instead, I built my own drill jig for this project:

so I had to actually make a special baseplate

I made a lightweight template:

I welded up a couple of simple angle-iron slings

That's really a lovely piece of work, Mitch. It has "you" written all over it and the methods of construction.

As a general observation, I note that you apparently have no children - and that that state of affairs is very likely to continue as long as these projects do. ;)

Pilgrim

You mentioned that your one regret was the satin finish instead of semi-gloss, but I think you made the right choice. Great stuff.

I would have been sunk on step 1.

Jerry Johnston

Wow.....very professional. I can see why it took you so long. I couldn't have made that if I had worked on it full time for a year.

Lone_RT_rider
As a general observation, I note that you apparently have no children - and that that state of affairs is very likely to continue as long as these projects do. ;)

As someone that know's Mitch pretty well, I can tell you that, as in all things with Mitch..... it's very intentional. ;):grin:

Shawn

Beautiful work, demonstrates a lot of patience and thought. Isn't it a bit of overkill just to rest coffee on when you are sipping it?

That's really a lovely piece of work, Mitch. It has "you" written all over it and the methods of construction.

Pilgrim

That's my thoughts exactly. :thumbsup:

Nice work Mitch. I've built a few sticks of furniture, but nothing like that. You won't find a micrometer in my woodshop :/

My father built a huge, oval dining table that they use in their kitchen. He spent hours and hours gluing it up, sanding and staining, and designing a solid base.

The grandkids ( not mine thank goodness!) have beat the daylights out of it. It has knife marks, pen, and marker stains all over it.............sometimes I wonder how he kept his cool........

Nice work.

We still have one my dad made 45 years ago.

Time line?

Not so fast.

Year 1 3 months

Year 2 6 months

Then 3 year hiatus before project 3, 1 year duration.

So, I predict that in 6 years you will begin project 4.

However the duration will be more than 2 years because you'll aspire to produce an even more labor intensive object.

So in the year 2016 I expect to see your motorcycle equivalent of the Spruce Gooe.

spruce_goose_flight_750.jpg

:grin:

Very nice Mitch!!

In 7th grade I built a walnut table for my mom and dad. Walnut with resin inlay and it has been used since then...think that was like 1968??? Oh well....every time a furniture change comes about the table stays.

Looks like yours is well built and stylish. No doubt will last a lifetime. Great job!

Archived