IGNORED

R1200RT Let me down last night!!

imeyers

Went for a ride with the wife on my new 12RT, 630 miles on it so far. When i got to the end of my ride, just as I was turning on to my street the bike suddenly died. I pulled over and immediately check the gas tank. To my surprise the tank was completely empty, however the display showed 120 miles to empty and showed about 2/5 of a tank on the gauge. No warning light came on. I said to my wife that I could not believe I was pushing a $20K bike down the street because of a fuel gauge problem. I am off to the dealer this morning to have it checked out. I was thinking of calling BMW roadside assistance to have them come to my house with gas, but I will probably just go to the auto store and get a small gas can and put a gallon in the bike to get to the gas station. I don't trust them to bring high octane gas. I am just glad it happened on my block and not on the highway which is where I was 10 minutes earlier. This was at 10:00 at night.

This is good information. One of these days I'm going to do a test where I "on purpose" run my bike out of fuel (carry a half gallon or so with me in an approved container so I'm not stuck).

Please let us know how it turns out.

Joe

I've filled up when the indicator light comes on and the 'computer' tells me I have 50 odd kilometers to empty but am only able to put 18-20 litres in the 27 litre tank! Will the last 7-9 litres only take me 50 odd clicks???

I like your idea about running it dry one time to see exactly how far a tank will go.

Sorry to here that,glad Im not the only one to have problems

bought my bike in april now has 7k on it still fuel gauge backfiring cam chain noise and it lays down at 6krpm wont even pull to red line all the down loads the dealer has done sucks service sticks all I can say it for sale .

This is good information. One of these days I'm going to do a test where I "on purpose" run my bike out of fuel (carry a half gallon or so with me in an approved container so I'm not stuck).

Please let us know how it turns out.

Joe

Just bear in mind that the fuel pump uses the fuel as its lubricant. Run dry and you can often trash the fuel pump. Let someone else do the experiment.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

Can somebody decode what fvabil just said?

Several times I've run the RT from miles to go to ------each time still had almost a gallon remaining. I think I've just about got it figured it out. Unless I'm in Nevada, I won't start seriously hunting or gas till I get the ------

I think he says he had lots of problems with a 1200RT and it is now for sale. confused.gif

I dunno, cam chain noise?? This was a thread about running out of gas due to a fuel guage problem, No?

Yes your right it is about fuel gauge problem but other issues are popping up about the rt Ive had fuel gauge problem since day one and when you said the computor reads blanks ....I road 60 more miles top off at 6.6 gallons now if I wasn"t on some road to no where it would not bother me I did buy the bike for back road cruisin.the dealerhas no comment

Filled the tank and was back in business. Took six gals. and some change to fill it. Maybe I am a simpleton but I do not understand how you can't make an accurate fuel gauge on a bike like this or any other bike for that matter. I had a 1980 Lincoln Town Car and a 1982 Trans Am that had more accurate fuel gauges than this bike. I am just going to fill it up every 250 miles. I figure I should be safe. I love the bike so much that I feel almost trivial but it just shouldn't be.

My Honda will take ya to the gas pumps early too, but it is not as pessimistic as the RT. The 1300's air temp gauge is dead on the money, and I add 4-5 degrees on the RTs.

Just bear in mind that the fuel pump uses the fuel as its lubricant. Run dry and you can often trash the fuel pump. Let someone else do the experiment.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

An old wives tale... Yes, the fuel pump uses the fuel as its "lubricant", but if you run dry, then the engine will quit, and if the engine quits, then the fuel pump shuts off. If running dry for just two seconds trashes the pump, then it was probably ready to die anyway.

Pat

Archived